Blizzard Launches World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Classic

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Blizzard has launched World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Classic, a re-creation of the classic 2008 expansion that centered on the eponymous lord of the Scourge and introduced the MMORPG's first hero class, the Death Knight.

Go to post

Yea at this point they are trying to revitalize the IP and it's just not going to go anywhere. There are TONS of free servers that have been running LOCKED at the Litch King expansion because that has been considered the best one over all.

Yea at this point they are trying to revitalize the IP and it's just not going to go anywhere. There are TONS of free servers that have been running LOCKED at the Litch King expansion because that has been considered the best one over all.
True, but back when I used to play on them there were always bugs, not to mention low populations. WoW private servers might be more “complete” these days but I’d be shocked if they don’t come with some form of malware.

The end of BC / start of WoTLK was my WoW heyday, I did a lot of semi-hard core raiding during that time, but ended up burning out before we got to the end of WoTLK - something about jousting over and over on dailies was rough, and the content could not come fast enough for us. But ultimately, every time I go try WoW again, the community very rapidly reminds me why I don't want to stay. The community, in general, there is among the most toxic I've ever seen.

I have no desire to go back. I still play MMOs primarily, and in fact, the one I play now may as well be a WoW clone. But the community in my current game is the polar opposite of what I recall from every time I've tried WoW.

WoW had it's time and place, but I'm over it.

World of Warcraft: never played it, never will.
Yeah, I wouldn't touch it today. It was a late '00's thing, and if you didn't play it then, you just missed the boat.

The funny thing about MMOs, which makes them unique from most other video games: The game is only part of the experience. It's the community that makes up a very large part of the experience, and you can't recreate that. You can never go back to an MMO and have it be the same -- even if it's the exact same content and patches and gameplay, because the community will never be the same.

There is always something special when a new, good (which is extremely rare today) MMO launches. The game is always full of bugs, things are always laggy and broken all over the place, and the content always ends up hitting a wall early on -- but it's the community there during the start that makes it a special experience. You can usually tell if a game will succeed or not just based on how the community comes together (or doesn't) during those first few weeks.

Yea the community for WOW has turned into drug addict trash panda quality for the RP servers at least. It's all about trashing this person or that.

I'm still having fun with WoW, been playing with the same people for the better part of a decade, tough I have to admit some of the magic from the start is gone.

I stopped playing WoW just a short while ago. Been playing it since Vanilla, and the main reason for getting out now, is the community. Toxic is putting it mildly.

Become a Patron!
Back