Brazil Wants Apple to Elaborate on Why It Stopped including Chargers with iPhones

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
iphone-se-2020-pair-black-1024x576.jpg

Despite being an expensive product, the iPhone 12 does not include a power adapter in the box. Apple claims that the omission was made strictly for environmental reasons (e.g., to reduce carbon emissions and electronic waste), but like most users, Brazilian consumer protection agency Procon-SP hasn’t been fooled by what appears to be a sly excuse for cost savings.

In a recent statement (via Entrepreneur), the agency confirmed that it had asked Apple for actual evidence as to how the lack of a charger contributes to environmental gain. It also blamed the company for failing to properly market the fact that iPhone 12 models don’t include a charger in the box. (The...

Continue reading...

Apple is going to move to portless devices (Mag Safe). They'll drag out any legal battles until it won't be relevant anymore.

Its high time all this is standarized and mandated. Standarized replaceable batteries, and replaceable charging ports in the cellphone.
What is the draw to a replaceable battery? I had one in my note 3, and other to reboot the phone when the crappy verizon bloat ware would lock it up, I never took out the battery. The hardware was obsolete before the battery was trash.

What is the draw to a replaceable battery? I had one in my note 3, and other to reboot the phone when the crappy verizon bloat ware would lock it up, I never took out the battery. The hardware was obsolete before the battery was trash.
I find this to often be the case as well, but not always. Something like an iPhone 6 is still receiving security updates and functions fine, but if you had one from release you would have probably been through 3 batteries in typical life cycles.

Some people see it as forced obsolescence - the device will only last as long as the battery. The battery can be replaced, but only (officially)via an authorized repair center - which adds costs to the process.

I would rather have a stronger and/or smaller made device in the first place than to see a replaceable battery get shoehorned in just for the sake of it being user-replaceable. The battery can already be replaced, technically, if you wanted to keep the device. You just can’t do it yourself (officially).

Not saying the replaceable battery crowd is wrong - they have a good point. Just looking at the pros and cons of both sides, I don’t side with them on this one.

My phone was released in 2016 and still gets security updates and is still relevant. It does everything it should. There is no reason for it to become obsolete other than the eventual battery aging. That said, it still does well. I go every other day on charges when people with iPhone 10's I know have to charge every day or more with the same usage patterns. So, for me, a replaceable battery would be great because eventually that will limit me...not the phone.

My op6 is still a nice phone, but needs a new battery. Changing it, yes possible, but its a mess. Had this be replaceable it would a 15 second job. Yes I will replace it regardless. Funny how low end devices can have replaceable batteries... Well its not a mistake, once again its planned, as the low end device has more odds of becoming useless for many other reasons than battery. Yet a top end device which could be used and be capable for years, gets glued shut the one thing that will most likely mean its demise.
Yes its planned obsolescence, its a disgrace.

My op6 is still a nice phone, but needs a new battery. Changing it, yes possible, but its a mess. Had this be replaceable it would a 15 second job. Yes I will replace it regardless. Funny how low end devices can have replaceable batteries... Well its not a mistake, once again its planned, as the low end device has more odds of becoming useless for many other reasons than battery. Yet a top end device which could be used and be capable for years, gets glued shut the one thing that will most likely mean its demise.
Yes its planned obsolescence, its a disgrace.

My wife just replaced her 6 with the 2020 SE

Very happy with it.

I understand why as some people are literally on their phones all waking hours, but I've never had to replace a battery in any of my cell phones since 2004. The one in my old flip from 2009 is still going after 11 years.
My phone was released in 2016 and still gets security updates and is still relevant. It does everything it should. There is no reason for it to become obsolete other than the eventual battery aging. That said, it still does well. I go every other day on charges when people with iPhone 10's I know have to charge every day or more with the same usage patterns. So, for me, a replaceable battery would be great because eventually that will limit me...not the phone.
The battery in my Razer Phone 2 lasts a week on a single charge with my usage pattern.

I understand why as some people are literally on their phones all waking hours, but I've never had to replace a battery in any of my cell phones since 2004. The one in my old flip from 2009 is still going after 11 years.

The battery in my Razer Phone 2 lasts a week on a single charge with my usage pattern.
I have also never replaced a battery, going all the way back to the old Nokia brick phones. Of course the older phones didn’t do much but calls, but they were also generally Nickel metal batteries that shouldn’t have great durability . The newer lithium ion batteries just don’t really loose a ton of capacity over time. I just traded my launch day iPhone 8 Plus for a 12 pro max. Not because there was anything wrong with the battery, or really even the hardware, but because my 1 year old threw the phone and cracked the screen. I figured instead of repairing it, I would upgrade and get something new.

my 1st Gen iPad mini Still gets about a week on one charge, but the hardware is woefully out of date. You can browse with about one tab open - anymore and it tends to get really slow (probably out of memory).

The battery in my Galaxy Note 4 eventually went to ****. Then I switched over to the battery from my mom's old Note 4. That one is slowly getting worse over time too. I like having the option to replace it easily, although I do admit at this point I really should get a new phone. Kinda hard for me to justify putting money into a phone when I can put it towards my PC, my car, video games, etc.

So my battery is down to less than 66 percent original capacity by my rough calculations

Become a Patron!
Back