Case photography issues

Denpepe

FPS Regular
So I have been trying to grab a few pics of my new PC build but the reflections of the glass make this a real pain, does anyone have some tips on how to avoid this.

Other then removing the glass that is.

have a kid with grubby fingers rub their snotfaces all over it? PB&J sandwiches help.

Google says "polarizing filter" and "lens hood" - I'm not a photographer so ymmv. My redneck instinct tells me to spray it with hairspray (cleans off with acetone I hear) or get some of that static cling matte window treatment stuff.

I like the linked one just because of the name. Rabbitgoo.

Last edited:
So I have been trying to grab a few pics of my new PC build but the reflections of the glass make this a real pain, does anyone have some tips on how to avoid this.

Other then removing the glass that is.
Yup. First one:
"polarizing filter"
That can help, but only so much. Polarizers work just like polarized sunglasses (or ski goggles, or whatever), in that they're designed to block light coming from certain angles and not others. This can help with some reflections.

For our case reviews, we've (meaning myself and my wife) been using a solid black backdrop for angles that would otherwise be reflected. Working theory is that if there's nothing to reflect, you'll only see the case - challenge has been that on occasion, the backdrop itself was also in focus and so could be made out in the reflection.

(other common photography things like using a tripod or other means of stabilization, long exposures at base ISO, and doing selective color temperature adjustments to compensate on the fairly wild color temperatures of RGB lighting also apply)

Color looks good, with just enough motion blur from camera movement to be visible - try a tripod or even a stack of books?

Become a Patron!
Back