Charles Martinet Retires from Voicing Mario

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Nintendo has announced that Charles Martinet is no longer voicing Mario and will now serve as "Mario Ambassador" instead. Martinet, who turns 68 next month, has been voicing Mario since 1994's Mario Teaches Typing, according to his filmography.

See full article...

Friends and I have been speculating as to why he isn't gonna be voicing the characters anymore, but yeah there's no concrete info. Seems like a waste to me, but I don't know all the details of why things went down this way. One of my friends wonders if it might be health issues. Maybe Charles just got bored and tired of it. Well thanks to him for all the years he did put in. No doubt his voices for the characters he did are iconic. Ain't gonna be the same without him. Almost 30 years he did the job, good gawd. Geezus I'm old, since I remember a time long before Charles Martinet was voicing those characters. A time when we had no idea what Mario, Luigi, Wario and whoever the f*ck else he did sounded like. But after Charles came along, we accepted him as the voices for those characters, and for all those years since, so it's gonna be weird he's gone now. His work is part of some good-@ss memories though.

The friend who told me about this yesterday also shared this video:

Become a Patron!
Back