Cooler Master MasterAir MA624 Air Cooler Review

I'm definitely mulling over the potential longevity. My biggest counterpoint (to myself as well as to the discussion) is that AIOs are just so cheap.

It's not like I'm likely to use the fans that come with them unless a kit magically ships with top-end fans - so I'm really just buying the rad + pump + block combo.

Same with GPUs - @Brent_Justice just reviewed the style of GPU I would most prefer to purchase with his look at the EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid Gaming, and if these GPUs were as available as they once were, that's what I'd already be running (except as a 3080 Ti, of course).

Hmm...

Seeing how large some of these air coolers are, and knowing the magical properties of water...

Just strictly out of curiosity - what happens to a modern CPU, with all it's new thermal management tricks - when you do have a pump failure and/or fan failure?

I suspect in the case of fan failure (on either a AIO or an air cooler) that, for most AIO/HSF setups, the system would continue to run but throttle considerably. In the case of a pump failure, I don't know, and it may largely depend on specific installation moreso than anything else

I actually just went through this last month. My 4690k had a AIO 120mm cooler on it. Pump died and the CPU would throttle itself heavily. If I tried to do anything on the CPU, it would just reboot with a BIOS message telling me the CPU got too hot. I'd have to power it off, let it sit for 10 minutes and then power it back on before it would boot past the BIOS.

Replaced the AIO with a new one and she's been perfectly happy ever since.

I actually just went through this last month. My 4690k had a AIO 120mm cooler on it. Pump died and the CPU would throttle itself heavily. If I tried to do anything on the CPU, it would just reboot with a BIOS message telling me the CPU got too hot. I'd have to power it off, let it sit for 10 minutes and then power it back on before it would boot past the BIOS.

Replaced the AIO with a new one and she's been perfectly happy ever since.
Thanks for posting.

I have an AIO on my 5900X right now, I've just been too lazy to dig it out and pop the power off the pump to see what it would do.

Become a Patron!
Back