Corsair’s New RS MAX Fans Are 20% Thicker than Standard Fans, Enabling Quieter Cooling Performance

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Corsair has launched the RS MAX Series, its first 30-millimeter-thick PC cooling fans, featuring a 20% increase in thickness over standard fans for quieter cooling performance.

See full article...

Looks like Corsair is trying to play catchup with Phanteks - though they don't seem to have included any sort of PWM fan cable innovation (such as daisy chaining), and these aren't compatible with their 'link' systems, just straight PWM to a fan header / splitter.

Looks like Corsair is trying to play catchup with Phanteks - though they don't seem to have included any sort of PWM fan cable innovation (such as daisy chaining), and these aren't compatible with their 'link' systems, just straight PWM to a fan header / splitter.
They are not RGB so no need for the link system?

They are not RGB so no need for the link system?
You'd want it for integrating PWM control, presumably. I'm not a fan of Corsair's software (or anyone's really, for RGB), but it's more than just lighting - you'd want to have the fans controlled through iCue regardless, and I'm not sure if there's a way to do that reliably or at all.

Basically, unless iCue can control motherboard fan headers, something that's certainly possible but also variable board to board, or there's a way to add PWM control channels with the appropriate 4-pin connectors for PWM fans to an iCue-controlled 'system', then these fans are going to be controlled separately. Not the end of the world but I'm surprised that Corsair didn't have a single solution put forth for integrating these fans with the rest of their ecosystem.

I'll say that the bigger problem would be in trying to use these for custom loops, which is also something Corsair is knee-deep into. You'd typically want to tie fan speed to water temperature which without an integration option means using a separate temperature sensor for water that can be monitored by the motherboard (usually more expensive boards at that), and then controlling the fans through the board.

I really would have expected Corsair to have had an integration option linked on the fan page. They don't even have pictures for the fan cables themselves at the moment.

You'd want it for integrating PWM control, presumably. I'm not a fan of Corsair's software (or anyone's really, for RGB), but it's more than just lighting - you'd want to have the fans controlled through iCue regardless, and I'm not sure if there's a way to do that reliably or at all.

Basically, unless iCue can control motherboard fan headers, something that's certainly possible but also variable board to board, or there's a way to add PWM control channels with the appropriate 4-pin connectors for PWM fans to an iCue-controlled 'system', then these fans are going to be controlled separately. Not the end of the world but I'm surprised that Corsair didn't have a single solution put forth for integrating these fans with the rest of their ecosystem.

I'll say that the bigger problem would be in trying to use these for custom loops, which is also something Corsair is knee-deep into. You'd typically want to tie fan speed to water temperature which without an integration option means using a separate temperature sensor for water that can be monitored by the motherboard (usually more expensive boards at that), and then controlling the fans through the board.

I really would have expected Corsair to have had an integration option linked on the fan page. They don't even have pictures for the fan cables themselves at the moment.

I know, you can always get one of these https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-...ghting-and-fan-speed-controller-cl-9011112-ww
Or you may already have something similar if you bought a Corsair case (or other cases that come with fan hubs)

I know, you can always get one of these https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-...ghting-and-fan-speed-controller-cl-9011112-ww
Or you may already have something similar if you bought a Corsair case (or other cases that come with fan hubs)
Corsair case, or corsair AIO kits come with a 6 port fan/rgb controller that I think would work fine here and let iCUE maintain control.

Outside of the earlier versions iCUE has been just fine for me. Early on it was a bit of a pain but a non issue for the past couple years.

They could teach a thing or two to Asus with their **** tastic Armoury Crate. You basically need to research every board component for driver/firmware updates and NOT use the Armoury Crate if you want to have actual current drivers/bios from ASUS. How sad is that.

They could teach a thing or two to Asus with their **** tastic Armoury Crate. You basically need to research every board component for driver/firmware updates and NOT use the Armoury Crate if you want to have actual current drivers/bios from ASUS. How sad is that.
Got rid of that crap a while ago. The amount of running background resources it had was just astonishing. I've been using MSI center and it is a thousand times better.

Corsair case, or corsair AIO kits come with a 6 port fan/rgb controller that I think would work fine here and let iCUE maintain control.

Outside of the earlier versions iCUE has been just fine for me. Early on it was a bit of a pain but a non issue for the past couple years.

Armory Crate is a bit of a mess. Gigabyte's solution is just as bad. MSI's Center seems to be okay-ish.

But really, I despise software from motherboard makers and I'll happily agree that iCue is a few steps above that!

Become a Patron!
Back