CORSAIR Force Series MP600 1TB Gen4 PCIe NVMe SSD Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner-1024x341.jpg

Introduction

When it comes to computer peripherals, CORSAIR is a well-known name among computer enthusiasts.  While CORSAIR is well known for its cooling, cases, power supplies, fans, and memory, it also has a presence with M.2 storage SSDs.  This is quite fitting, as CORSAIR has also been known for its USB flash storage, having some of the fastest USB drives around.

Today we have one of CORSAIR’s SSDs on the test bench for review.  We will be taking a look at the CORSAIR Force Series MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD in...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the great review! My question is more along the lines of a technical reason, not in particular to this product. Why are Random 4K 1Q reads so much slower than writes on these devices? I would have thought that random writes would be slower due to having to fetch a location to write the data being added operations versus just following a trail of data reads.

Again, thanks for the great read! Nice product overall... Now if I could find something in a 4TB model that'd be swell :)

Thank you for the great review! My question is more along the lines of a technical reason, not in particular to this product. Why are Random 4K 1Q reads so much slower than writes on these devices? I would have thought that random writes would be slower due to having to fetch a location to write the data being added operations versus just following a trail of data reads.

Again, thanks for the great read! Nice product overall... Now if I could find something in a 4TB model that'd be swell :)

So the way I understand it is that it is more about latency. These drives, as far as I know, use write combining, so it can store up bits of data when writing in a buffer, and then writes them out in larger chunks at a time to make the process more parallel. Not sure whether it uses the SLC cache for this buffer or the DRAM, but whatever it's using, it's working very well. Now for the read performance, it can't exactly read very well in parallel across the NAND with random reads. The time it takes to fetch the data is just worse.

So the way I understand it is that it is more about latency. These drives, as far as I know, use write combining, so it can store up bits of data when writing in a buffer, and then writes them out in larger chunks at a time to make the process more parallel. Not sure whether it uses the SLC cache for this buffer or the DRAM, but whatever it's using, it's working very well. Now for the read performance, it can't exactly read very well in parallel across the NAND with random reads. The time it takes to fetch the data is just worse.
Thank you for the explaination! I appreciate it!

Become a Patron!
Back