Cryptominer Flaunts 78 GeForce RTX 3080 GPUs in a Rig That Can Supposedly Make Over $10,000 a Month

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
crypto-mining-rig-78-geforce-rtx-3080-gpus-rgb-1024x576.jpg

Did NVIDIA really sell thousands of its Ampere graphics cards to miners? Those allegations are still up in the air, but those of you who wish to fuel that theory can check out crypto enthusiast Simon Byrne’s latest mining rig, which happens to comprise a massive rack of 78 GeForce RTX 3080 graphics cards. It isn’t clear how Byrne managed to get his hands on so many of NVIDIA’s flagship GPUs, but he did confirm that “Bertha 2” is nearly operational for some serious Ether-mining action.

A cost breakdown shared by Tech ARP suggests that the rig is able to generate a net profit of around $10,674 per month...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
you got the money, honey, we got the time.

I hope he chokes on them.

I can't wait for the market to realize that all cryptocurrencies are essentially just junk based on speculative bubbles, and for the whole house of cards to come tumbling down, so we can get back to normal.

I hope he chokes on them.

I can't wait for the market to realize that all cryptocurrencies are essentially just junk based on speculative bubbles, and for the whole house of cards to come tumbling down, so we can get back to normal.
I can think of 2 other things...

Shining example of generating wealth while killing the environment and contributing absolutely nothing to society. Proud of him.
Given he lives in Vegas, it wouldn't be crazy for him to have 30kw of solar panels soaking up that 300+ days / year of sun, and 200+ days / year of completely clear skies. It wouldn't cover all of his energy use, but solar is the cheapest possible source in kw/h, so it could very well be a lower energy footprint than you might otherwise expect.

Besides that... agree completely.

These are the kind of people that make me sick. 78 RTX 3080s, all of them being used for a sh1tty-@ss purpose. There are gamers and PC enthusiasts out there, struggling mightily to get their hands on ONE f*cking RTX 3080, and this jack@ss has 78 of them. I would really like to know how he got so many. What a waste. I hate seeing this kind of sh1t.

These are the kind of people that make me sick. 78 RTX 3080s, all of them being used for a sh1tty-@ss purpose. There are gamers and PC enthusiasts out there, struggling mightily to get their hands on ONE f*cking RTX 3080, and this jack@ss has 78 of them. I would really like to know how he got so many. What a waste. I hate seeing this kind of sh1t.

If I had to guess it's that board partners are selling directly to miners as well. At above MSRP. If they can move 1000's of units at above MSRP all that profit goes directly in to their pockets, not the retail outlets.

Just speculation. But it's highly plausible.

Just a quick look on reddit's mining subs shows a lot of people with stacks of cards. STACKS. Those AIB cards are coming from somewhere. And it's most likely not retail outlets.

Given he lives in Vegas, it wouldn't be crazy for him to have 30kw of solar panels soaking up that 300+ days / year of sun, and 200+ days / year of completely clear skies. It wouldn't cover all of his energy use, but solar is the cheapest possible source in kw/h, so it could very well be a lower energy footprint than you might otherwise expect.

Besides that... agree completely.
That still doesn't account for the environmental footprint of making the solar panels used for mining, and making the gpus themselves of course.

So no matter how efficient or environmentally friendly some miners all, they are all enemies of civilization in my eyes.

I'm starting to rethink my retirement plans. Sell house, buy a place in the sticks with cheap electricity.... steal the hopes and dreams from 78 PC gamers, and then profit? Oh I almost forgot the final step... bro down.

In 3 months that 10k a month income will be 5 k then 500 then a loss...

Just going to place this right here. Enjoy. :ROFLMAO:
Just heard a story this morning about a guy who has enough Bitcoin to be worth over $230 million today locked away in a wallet he can't access because the keys are on an encrypted hard drive he forgot the password to. He's used up 8 of his 10 attempts trying to get into the hard drive.

Of course Nvidia is selling directly to miners.
Even if they wanted, they can't. They have a distribution channel. You can't go to nvidia and buy a bunch of cards.

BTW the cards on the pic are not even nvidia brand cards, they seem to be gigabyte or MSI. BTW you could buy the cards directly from them.

Even if they wanted, they can't. They have a distribution channel. You can't go to nvidia and buy a bunch of cards.

BTW the cards on the pic are not even nvidia brand cards, they seem to be gigabyte or MSI. BTW you could buy the cards directly from them.

It's already known that Nvidia sells die packages to Chinese mining card manufacturers.

Now, it's hard to confirm, but I'd bet that the AIB's are selling directly to miners as well. There are people with literally hundreds of a single SKU. Which just makes me think that mining groups are going to the AIB's with orders for 1000's of cards and offering a certain % over MSRP for them to get with priority.

Become a Patron!
Back