Cyberpunk 2077 Enjoys Massive Debut with Eight Million Preorders and More than One Million Concurrent Players on Steam

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
cyberpunk-2077-female-v-noodles-1024x576.jpg
Image: CD PROJEKT RED

Everyone already knew that Cyberpunk 2077 was going to be a smash hit, but CD PROJEKT RED may have to truck in more cases of champagne than expected. The company has shared some impressive sales figures on Twitter, revealing that the sci-fi RPG had already amassed eight million preorders by the time it was officially released. A breakdown between PC (59 percent/4.72 million copies) and console (41 percent/3.28 million copies) sales would also suggest that Cyberpunk 2077 is destined to go down in history as one of the most successful PC game launches ever.

💪💪💪...

Continue reading...

Something to keep in mind on those # of players and concurrent players... that is ONLY through Steam. This game is on GOG, and Epic Games as well... NOT TO MENTION consoles!! CDPR employees and developers I hope are getting a hefty freaking bonus this year for such an amazing reception!!

Something to keep in mind on those # of players and concurrent players... that is ONLY through Steam. This game is on GOG, and Epic Games as well... NOT TO MENTION consoles!! CDPR employees and developers I hope are getting a hefty freaking bonus this year for such an amazing reception!!
Despite that CDPR's stock has been in freefall. Apparently, investors were disappointed with the Metacritic score. It was "only" 91 despite CDPR promising a "90+" score.

Despite that CDPR's stock has been in freefall. Apparently, investors were disappointed with the Metacritic score. It was "only" 91 despite CDPR promising a "90+" score.
If I were an investor, I wouldn’t be concerned with Metacritic (why the industry puts so much relevence on that metric I will never understand), but rather almost every article out about the game is either NSFW glitchpics, showing the absolute crapfest that is on the previous Gen consoles without having current/next gen support, or articles about crunching and still shipping a game of this quality.

There are good reviews out there, and the game sold well on release, but they need good press to keep a tail going on sales and there isn’t a lot of good news that is bubbling up over all the noise.

That would be what I would be worried about as an investor, and as CDPR I would be concentrated on getting high profile bug fixes and performance improvements out the door ASAP - crunch be dammed.

CDPR obviously tried to support too many platforms at release. They should drop last Gen consoles like a bad habit, get the current Gen edition out ASAP, and hold off on Stadia until the Pc edition is patched up.

If I were an investor, I wouldn’t be concerned with Metacritic (why the industry puts so much relevence on that metric I will never understand), but rather almost every article out about the game is either NSFW glitchpics, showing the absolute crapfest that is on the previous Gen consoles without having current/next gen support, or articles about crunching and still shipping a game of this quality.

There are good reviews out there, and the game sold well on release, but they need good press to keep a tail going on sales and there isn’t a lot of good news that is bubbling up over all the noise.

That would be what I would be worried about as an investor, and as CDPR I would be concentrated on getting high profile bug fixes and performance improvements out the door ASAP - crunch be dammed.

CDPR obviously tried to support too many platforms at release. They should drop last Gen consoles like a bad habit, get the current Gen edition out ASAP, and hold off on Stadia until the Pc edition is patched up.
The people moving large amounts of money around investing on stocks are typically not too interested in anything the company does aside from their growth. As a result they just look at numbers and reports. Metacritic score is still considered by these people as a KPI for continuing sales. Meaning that even though there were a huge amount of preorders they see potentially little growth in the amount of incoming revenue from the game after the preorder period.

Here on the internet, whether we like to admit it or not, are living in our own little bubble. Despite the large amount of varying and extreme opinions most people in the real world simply do not know or do not care about what people on the internet say. They still just care about the raw numbers such as exposure and conversion rates. Plenty of people on the internet say one thing and do the complete opposite.

I've only put an hour in as last week I started Assassins creed odyssey, Couldn't pass up the ultimate edition for 30 bucks... so once I finish that out or get bored of it I'll do more CP 2077! :)

Become a Patron!
Back