Dell’s G5 15 SE Will Be the Only Laptop This Year with AMD SmartShift Technology

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-smartshift-x-ray-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

If you’re interested in testing out AMD’s new SmartShift technology this year, Dell will be the only ticket. Chief Architect of Gaming Solutions (and Alienware co-founder) Frank Azor has confirmed that the G5 15 SE will be the only laptop shipping in 2020 with the novel feature, which intelligently shifts power between systems that contain both an APU and discrete GPU.

It’s a brand new technology and to @dell credit they jumped on it first. I explained reasons why during my interview with @pcworld @Gordonung...

Continue reading...

Well I mean , so many are either using the integrated gpu or using Nvidia, so there is that of course.

Yes, it's a new thing and that's not what is in the KB above. This is designed for laptops that have both an AMD CPU and discrete GPU. The premise of it is that the power allocation will be dynamically shifted between the CPU and GPU based upon the required load from the system. Per AMD's briefing that I attended at CES earlier this year, it requires a unified cooling solution in the laptop as well.

So, for example, if you're playing a game, it may decrease the CPU power limit and increase the GPU power limit to sustain whatever the maximum power/thermal load is for the laptop, but it will result in higher boost clocks on the GPU (and in turn, better gaming performance). On the other hand, if you're running a CPU intensive task, it will shift that power allocation back to the CPU.

Become a Patron!
Back