Dell to Launch World’s First 40-Inch Ultrawide Curved 5K2K Monitor for $2,100

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
dell-ultrasharp-40-curved-wuhd-monitor-front-back-1024x576.jpg
Image: Dell

Dell is about to release what its marketing department is billing as the “world’s first 40-inch ultrawide curved 5K2K monitor.” The UltraSharp 40 Curved WUHD (U4021QW), as it’s succinctly named, features a 60 Hz IPS panel with a 2500R curvature and impressive resolution of 5,120 x 2,160 pixels (104 ppi) for enhanced productivity. It also includes a productivity hub with Thunderbolt 3, RJ45, and SuperSpeed USB 10 Gbps ports for charging and Ethernet connectivity.

“The impressive Dell UltraSharp 40 Curved WUHD Monitor is the world’s first 40-inch ultrawide curved WUHD (5K2K) monitor for immersive productivity,” Dell writes. This curved display delivers excellent front of screen...

Continue reading...

5k? Way the screw up the aspect ratios!

I guess for productivity tasks it would be awesome, but god ****... That resolution must be sexy!

I guess for productivity tasks it would be awesome, but god ****... That resolution must be sexy!

Well, 5k is just short hand. It's 5120x2160, so it winds up being approximately 21:9, while not a majority aspect ratio, is at least a standard one.

I'd consider using that resolution. The fact that it is 60hz without any kind of VRR is a bigger problem for me.

I mean, I don't play as many games as I used to, but my PC is a general purpose machine. Productivity AND games, so it needs to be able to do both, and no system without some form of VRR is going to cut it for me anymore.

Ultrawide is a poorly defined term, but this aspect ratio is close to the standard set by "21:9" 3440x1440 monitors before it. I guess it is easier to say than "237:100" and compare to 16:9.

Ultrawide is a poorly defined term, but this aspect ratio is close to the standard set by "21:9" 3440x1440 monitors before it. I guess it is easier to say than "237:100" and compare to 16:9.

As I see it aspect ratios are all approximate rounded figures anyway. For comparison 5120x2160 winds up being 21.333:9 which is close enough that UI elements and field of views set for 21:9 should only be imperceptibly different.

When I run out of GPU horsepower for 4k (3840x2160), which is pretty common with current gen titles, since I can't seem to find a current gen GPU anywhere, I usually run at a custom 21:9:ish resolution, which helps a little bit.

I run at 3840x1646, which again, is approximately 21:9 rounded to the nearest pixels, and I have yet to find a title designed with 21:9 in mind that does not work well at this resolution.

Thanks guys for clearing that up. It just looked real odd for a resolution.. That's all :)

It’s pretty. I would admit to liking it, but it’s a bit rich for me to just run spreadsheets on. This clearly isn’t aimed at the gaming market anyway.

Not sure if it’s up to snuff for the photo/video people,, but it would surprise me if it’s not since it’s the UltraSharp line

Become a Patron!
Back