DOOM + DOOM II Enhanced Versions Surface on Steam with 4K 120 FPS Graphics and All-New Episode from id Software, Nightdive Studios, and MachineGames

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
DOOM and DOOM II: Hell on Earth, two boomer shooters that are considered by many to be some of the finest first-person shooters to have ever been created, with the former having defined the genre in 1993, are returning as part of a newly enhanced release that advertises several modern updates, including support for not only 60 FPS in 1080p on all platforms, but also up to 120 FPS in 4K on supported hardware, according to a listing that has surfaced on Steam.

See full article...

These are games I still play a lot to this day, but like most modern Doom players, I use sourceports. I know GZDoom is the popular one, but I prefer Zandronum. Anyways, I know Nightdive is the master of remasters/modern ports, and they always do a great job, but I wonder how they are approaching these versions of Doom 1 and 2. It made sense for Doom 64, because some of the devs at Nightdive come from the community, including the guy who was responsible for the best sourceport for Doom 64. So it only made sense for Nightdive to work on Doom 64. They basically port all games to their KEX Framework anyways. But yeah, it will be interesting to see how they go about remastering Doom 1 and 2, considering there are other brand-new games out there (like Selaco) that are being built using GZDoom. Much as how Ion Fury was made using the most popular sourceport of the Build Engine. So I wonder if Nightdive will be using GZDoom, or something they made up themselves (perhaps maybe even working off of what they did for Doom 64). Well whatever they do, in the end it goes through the KEX wrapper.

Nightdive made a new "episode" for Doom 64 that was fantastic, so I'm interested to see what the new content is like. Not the first time a company has done that. Nerv Software made an episode for Doom 2 years later called No Rest For The Living, and that sh1t was awesome. Glad to see it's in this pack.

So this pack contain SIGIL? Just the first one? Not the 2nd one? No biggie, SIGIL 1 was better than 2, in my opinion. I still really appreciate that Romero made them.

Cool that it comes with the IDKFA soundtrack (and wow, Andrew Hushult even added tracks for Doom 2, cuz the soundtrack was always missing those!), but maaan this pack would really be a steal if it came with Brutal Doom, and the optional music that goes with Brutal Doom. There's gonna be mod support, so hopefully Brutal Doom and its soundtrack make their way to this KEX release of Doom 1 and 2 that way.

I've been through all the Doom stuff (most of it multiple times) except Doom 1 Ep4: Thy Flesh Consumed (was too hard last time I tried it several years ago), and I have yet to even attempt the two expansions for Doom 2 that were known collectively as "Final Doom": TNT Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment. I'll get to those someday though, hopefully soon. But yeah all the rest of the Doom shiznit, which all appear to be included in this Nightdive pack, was good stuff. Interesting and cool to see Nightdive get their hands on it now.

If you guys are wondering the Doom 1 Engine games run in sourceports on modern PCs, I can tell you that with a GTX 970 at 4K on a CPU from 2014 you're looking at quad digit fps numbers, if I recall correctly. 120fps won't be a hard figure to hit for ANY platform, including the current-gen consoles.

Digression: unlike the classic Doom games that I always keep sourceports around for, or the UT games that I always keep installed on every PC that I build for myself, it has been a long time since I messed with Quake 3. I've been thinking about getting back to that lately. Seems sourceports are the way to go for that game, so I'll have to figure out which one is the best for that. The last time I really spent good time with Quake 3 was when Quake Live was still a browser-based game, and then for a little bit after it moved to Steam. Quake Live was awesome at first, but their pursuit of eSports nonsense and senseless changes eventually ruined the game for me, driving me back to classic Quake 3.

So I just found out that bundle replaces the original Steam releases of Doom 1 and 2 (which run in DOSBox, but gives you the actual WAD files and everything to use with the sourceport of your choice, or with actual DOS), but if you already own those old Steam releases, then you automatically get this new Nightdive remaster bundle for free. Cuz it says I already have it in my Steam library. I assume the GOG version operates the same way. That's similar to what they did with Quake 1 and 2, where if you owned the original Steam releases then they also gave you the Nightdive remasters for free.

I had both Doom's so got this for free. I tried it last night and wasn't very impressed. I really think most of the older games I played the nostalgia has worn off, and my older eyes can't seem to handle them like they used to I suppose.

I haven't played these Nightdive remasters yet, but a couple of friends (also guys that play the Doom games quite often, one of which still experiments with map-making) have, and they said they feel and look weird/off. They are probably just really used to how the sourceports look, feel, behave, and run. We're all used to those physics, controls, movement, input, etc. Me personally, I use Brutal Doom a lot, so I'm very used to the additional graphical effects such as the lighting and colors and updates sprites and whatnot (though I do use vanilla Doom a decent amount).

...this pack would really be a steal if it came with Brutal Doom...
Another mod I remembered is the ray-traced version of the game using the sourceport PrBoom. That's another one that would have been cool to include with the package.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back