EA to Acquire DIRT 5 and F1 2020 Developer Codemasters for $1.2 Billion

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
dirt-2.0-ford-fiesta-r5-1024x576.jpg
Image: Codemasters

Electronic Arts announced today that it had reached an agreement to purchase UK-based game developer and publisher Codemasters, which is best known for the DIRT, Project Cars, GRID, and F1 franchises. While EA already has an impressive car catalog comprising various Need for Speed and Burnout titles, the acquisition is sure to cement the publishing giant’s position in the racing category.

Rockstar Games and 2K parent Take-Two Interactive had also shown interest in buying Codemasters, but it was...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Awaiting patches for already released games that breaks them...

I recently bought SW Squadrons and don't pay attention to who put that out. Spent 40 min just trying to log into EA to play the **** thing.

Different colored cars.. NEW VERSION!!! sigh....

RIP F1. You will be sorely missed. And Codemasters just snagged the exclusive license deal with WRC before this went down, too. Can't wait for EA to "FIFA-ize" these games...
Tire change - $50
Fuel - $3.99/Liter

I'm still trying to finish out Dirt 4 on ps4. Still looks awesome.

I'm sure EA won't screw this up one bit. Nuh uh. /s

I'm still trying to finish out Dirt 4 on ps4. Still looks awesome.

I'm sure EA won't screw this up one bit. Nuh uh. /s
DiRT 4 is excellent. DiRT 5 looks crappy by comparison. I developed no interest at all in trying it.

DiRT 4 is excellent. DiRT 5 looks crappy by comparison. I developed no interest at all in trying it.

Ya I read that Dirt 5 was done by a different dev team and felt nothing like 4. I like 4 for the most part, there does seem to be a fair amount of repetition in the maps (or all the forest maps look the same maybe). And I hate some of the cars that I cannot seem to change from in the campaign. but mostly I like it. I can't play it for more than an hour at a time though, I start yelling at the TV (Go straight, you POS car! etc) and the Mrs will come in and start making fun of me.

Have you touched the 2019 Grid reboot? I recall enjoying the first Grid on 360 or PS3 but none after that.

Ya I read that Dirt 5 was done by a different dev team and felt nothing like 4. I like 4 for the most part, there does seem to be a fair amount of repetition in the maps (or all the forest maps look the same maybe). And I hate some of the cars that I cannot seem to change from in the campaign. but mostly I like it. I can't play it for more than an hour at a time though, I start yelling at the TV (Go straight, you POS car! etc) and the Mrs will come in and start making fun of me.

Have you touched the 2019 Grid reboot? I recall enjoying the first Grid on 360 or PS3 but none after that.
The tracks in DiRT 4 are procedurally generated, if I remember correctly, which could lead to repetitive tracks.

I do have 2019 and I very much enjoy it. Despite the criticisms it feels like the original game, to me, with that kind of old-school fantasy driving game that is halfway between sim and arcade. I've enjoyed it much more than I have Project CARS 3.

Become a Patron!
Back