Feedback on motherboard choices

Dogsofjune

FPS Regular
So as I get a little excited about new processors hitting the shelves, I find I'm looking at up grades.
My first budget thought it to run a 3700x on the Asus b450-f rog strix, replacing the 2700x.

At first I considered a 3900x, but this board doesn't handle the 2700x very well, which is why I'd go to a 65 watt 3700x. This isn't a 105 watt friendly mobo. Typical of Asus

I also have been looking at a newer motherboard and going for a 5900x. Possibly an MSI or maybe another Asus if it's a decent deal. Or maybe back to Gigabyte.

Any personal experiences anyone wants to share on a solid 500 series mobo?

I guess we will see what holiday deals and availability look like.

Yeah, that was one that caught my attention. It's the juggle of new board, cpu and still getting a good video card budget, that is my biggest obstacle.

What I'm trying to prevent again, is getting a board with crummy voltage handling.
The Asus b450 board says it can handle a 3900x, but I'm personally not seeing that kind of efficiency that makes me comfortable. Especially if it came to remotely wanting to OC.

Last edited:
Especially if it came to remotely wanting to OC.
On Intel, OC'ing is mostly 5GHz --> done.

On AMD, it's mostly recommended to not even try; not because it can't be done, but because it's a pain, it can dramatically increase power usage, and it can also lower performance. Instead, reach first for good cooling and good memory.

Now granted I'd want a new motherboard for a 5000-series Ryzen CPU, most testing puts them at much better efficiency and thus power draw than their predecessors.

Yeah, that was one that caught my attention. It's the juggle of new board, cpu and still getting a good video card budget, that is my biggest obstacle.

What I'm trying to prevent again, is getting a board with crummy voltage handling.
The Asus b450 board says it can handle a 3900x, but I'm personally not seeing that kind of efficiency that makes me comfortable. Especially if it came to remotely wanting to OC.

The MSI X570 Tomahawk or the MSI MEG X570 Unify are good choices. They have really good VRM's, especially for their price brackets.

I'm going to be stuck with Realtek LAN for most of these options...... <sigh>

I'm going to be stuck with Realtek LAN for most of these options...... <sigh>
I feel your pain, but the alternatives are relatively straightforward: you can just grab a card online. They're cheap.

And you probably won't need one. The Realtek stuff does actually work; even in Linux, and even in BSD, these days. In Windows it's only really a big deal if you're trying to run Window Server, in which case the Intel NICs universally built in are unlikely to play well either!

Become a Patron!
Back