Freebies Have Pushed the Epic Games Store to Over 61 Million Monthly Active Users

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
epic-games-store-logo-square-1024x576.jpg
Image: Epic Games Store

Giving away free games generates interest in your platform? Who would have thought! In a press release regarding its partnership with Battery and Havas Media, Epic Games revealed that its recent “Vault” promotion, which gifted free copies of hit titles such as Grand Theft Auto V and Civilization VI, turned out to be a massive success.

In fact, the giveaway pushed the platform’s average peak concurrent users to 13 million and monthly active users to over 61 million. That’s not quite as impressive as Steam’s numbers, but it’s certainly notable, especially for a young storefront that’s barely two years old.

“Since launching the Epic Games Store...

Continue reading...

Not just free games.... but some free DECENT games. Anyone can give away little indie title stuff, but Epic has been crushing it lately. I know people hate Epic, I don't get it. No problems here and I've actually spent a little money there.

I don’t mind Epic the company, and I don’t have any issue with their business practices (now that they have stopped harvesting all your PC data). I happily claim the free games. The EGS software is pretty bad though.

Free, good games are the only reason I have an Epic account. Otherwise, I wouldn't have ever signed up for it.

I made an Epic account some years back because I was messing around with Unreal Engine 4 dev stuff, and cuz I was playing the UT4 alpha. Then they gave away Shadow Complex for free when the game was first ported to PC, so I snagged that too (I had already played it on X360 years prior though). Then some time later, they started actually selling games and giving away all these free games, so I just kept rolling with it. Have a pretty sizeable library now thanks to all the free games. I've never spent money in the Epic Games Store though. The launcher software is pretty bad, but it's gotten slightly better over time. I rarely use it though. I'm still mostly Steam and GOG. I almost never use Origin and I never use uPlay. I'm honestly surprised EGS has been able to keep up the train of free quality games for so long.

EGS is one of the only digital stores I haven't had any issues with other than 11ty billionty friend requests from people I don't know.

I think the Blizzard App Store is a decent software, but it doesn't run right on my primary gaming rig. Even the little task bar icon displays the generic windows icon instead of the Blizzard logo. Constantly freezes, locks up, stops responding, I have to restart it a lot and even then I have to use the task manager to close the app because it will sometimes open 4 - 5 instances when I'm trying to restart it.

Become a Patron!
Back