Front Page Account Login?

Zarathustra

Cloudless
Hey,

So for the last few days news stories have not had links to the discussion thread in the forums.

Instead there is a link that asks us to log in to comment, but the account appears different than my forum account.

If I want to discuss the news story, I have to go to the forums, and click on the news subforum and try to find the related thread.

I presume you guys are trying something, but would you mind communicating a little so we know what to expect?

Hey,

So for the last few days news stories have not had links to the discussion thread in the forums.

Instead there is a link that asks us to log in to comment, but the account appears different than my forum account.

If I want to discuss the news story, I have to go to the forums, and click on the news subforum and try to find the related thread.

I presume you guys are trying something, but would you mind communicating a little so we know what to expect?

If you don't mind, can you try logging in to the front page with your forum credentials? That should allow you to comment on the front page, and the forum thread should sync with the comments.

Maybe we should bring the discussion link back, but the goal here is to have the comments on the site sync with the forums and you can comment/view these either way you want.

I should probably test whether a front page comment will subscribe you to the forum thread though...

If you don't mind, can you try logging in to the front page with your forum credentials? That should allow you to comment on the front page, and the forum thread should sync with the comments.

Maybe we should bring the discussion link back, but the goal here is to have the comments on the site sync with the forums and you can comment/view these either way you want.

I should probably test whether a front page comment will subscribe you to the forum thread though...

Did you change something? Because I tried that earlier and it didn't work.

I'll try it again though.

Still no bueno:

1579923679817.png

Copied and pasted the login info from keepass the same way I do when I log on to the forum, so I am fairly certain it is the same.

It is a randomly generated password with lots of special characters though, so maybe that is breaking things?

Last edited:
@David_Schroth

Looks like the special characters were indeed the problem.

I randomly generated another password without the special characters and now logging in on th efront page with the same credentials worked.

If you want to investigate further, this is the old password I was using:

s~x^!"[,7K+PMq="^UL33K&r?{3_^FL9

My preference would be to have the link back, if only because there does not appear to be a way to quote, etc. and have a good conversation. The comment integration is pretty nice though. I just don't hope it doesn't result in a lot of disorganized non quoted replies to comments.

@David_Schroth

Looks like the special characters were indeed the problem.

I randomly generated another password without the special characters and now logging in on th efront page with the same credentials worked.

If you want to investigate further, this is the old password I was using:

s~x^!"[,7K+PMq="^UL33K&r?{3_^FL9

There's a function to allow single sign on between front page and the forums, with the forum account controlling. I tried it at first but there was something screwy with the cross origin cookie dropping - once that works then it should be 100% good.

The documentation for this integration quite frankly sucks. There's a 50 page forum thread about it on the xenforo forums, but they've barely got 10 pages of documentation with a paragraph each on it - tis getting frustrating on my end...

There's a function to allow single sign on between front page and the forums, with the forum account controlling. I tried it at first but there was something screwy with the cross origin cookie dropping - once that works then it should be 100% good.

The documentation for this integration quite frankly sucks. There's a 50 page forum thread about it on the xenforo forums, but they've barely got 10 pages of documentation with a paragraph each on it - tis getting frustrating on my end...

You may be aware, but for what it's worth, it doesn't appear to display on the mobile version of the front page.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200125-181651.png
    Screenshot_20200125-181651.png
    603.6 KB · Views: 0
You may be aware, but for what it's worth, it doesn't appear to display on the mobile version of the front page.

Yup.

I have three options to deal with it at this point.

1. Figure out how to modify the unmodifiable AMP page that is currently being used that comes with our theme.

2. Revert to the responsive mobile theme that's a scaled down version of the desktop page, but loads things awkwardly, like tacking all the sidebars down at the bottom (oh how to show you ads like that?). This would at least bring the comments back.

3. Take a left turn and look at the theme that comes with this forum/WordPress integration. I got this up and running on a test server, so I may get you guys to look at it. Plus side is very tight forum/front page integration, downside appears to be a lack of flexibility with how to present stuff (and non-existent documentation).

Yup.

I have three options to deal with it at this point.

1. Figure out how to modify the unmodifiable AMP page that is currently being used that comes with our theme.

2. Revert to the responsive mobile theme that's a scaled down version of the desktop page, but loads things awkwardly, like tacking all the sidebars down at the bottom (oh how to show you ads like that?). This would at least bring the comments back.

3. Take a left turn and look at the theme that comes with this forum/WordPress integration. I got this up and running on a test server, so I may get you guys to look at it. Plus side is very tight forum/front page integration, downside appears to be a lack of flexibility with how to present stuff (and non-existent documentation).

Jeez, sounds like this stuff is a pain in the butt.

Totally obvious password there.

When you use a password database anyway, why not use a completely random generated password that is as strong as possible?

Only thime this backfired was when I got my new android phone, and had to type in my 64 character long random password with special characters manually on the phone keyboard :p

Well, option 4. Tell the system to serve the responsive page to mobile phones and AMP only when specifically requested, which should solve the issue (I hope). This will get the comments back on the front page and fix that white background noise for mobile...

Become a Patron!
Back