GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER vs GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Performance Comparison

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
Introduction Do you have a GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER from 2019 and want to upgrade to the new GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER in 2024 and want to know the performance uplift you will get? In today’s performance comparison review, we are going to compare gaming benchmarks with the GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER versus GeForce RTX […]

See full article...

Interesting . They have made nearly 3 x the core count perform nearly 3x faster. Decreased die size means less power per core needed. So proceed node improvements. And their base work distribution and balancing works well.

What's really amazing is the lack of IPC improvement on these cores. The cores do effectively the same work and performance appears to be almost linear improvement with core count.

All told worth the upgrade if you have the cash to spend. But at least for the main raster cores. Not that much improved if at all. Still a feat of engineering of course.

What's really amazing is the lack of IPC improvement on these cores. The cores do effectively the same work and performance appears to be almost linear improvement with core count.
Seems to be a common theme - gains in power efficiency have a linear increase in computing power. Gains in computational efficiency are less than linear (these tend to be the typical 10-15% improvement generations). And very very rarely do you get an entirely new computational method which presents an entire leap forward, but those tend to be isolated to specific cases and not a general case. Adding RTX cores for ray tracing is a good example of that - it greatly accelerates ray tracing tasks but doesn’t do much for overall performance

I'm not sure I'd jump to a 4080 Super, the 4070TiSuper seems like a better deal, especially @1440p.

I'm really tempted to go from a RTX3070Ti to a RTX4070Ti, but I think I'll wait for Blackwell. I'm afraid it will cost me more though.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd jump to a 4080 Super, the 4070TiSuper seems like a better deal, especially @1440p.

I'm really tempted to go from a RTX3070Ti to a RTX4070Ti, but I think I'll wait for Blackwell. I'm afraid it will cost me more though.

That comparison (RTX 2080 SUPER to 4070 Ti SUPER) is planned already. I have the data, need to put the review together.

Don't do this to me
That comparison (RTX 2080 SUPER to 4070 Ti SUPER) is planned already. I have the data, need to put the review together.
Great, when things are slow these articles are very useful.

Become a Patron!
Back