George Lucas Reveals Why He Sold Star Wars to Disney

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
george-lucas-james-cameron-interview-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMC

There has been plenty of theories as to why George Lucas sold Lucasfilm to Disney in 2012, but now, we may finally have a definitive reason as to why Star Wars’ fate is in the hands of a mouse. In Paul Duncan’s new book, the Star Wars Archives: Eps I–III: 1999–2005, Lucas explained that he simply wanted to get away from it all and make time for more important things in life, like raising his daughter.

“I’d still be working on Episode IX!,” Lucas exclaimed in response to a hypothetical scenario in which he had helmed the sequel trilogy. “In 2012 I was 69. So the question was am I going to keep doing this the rest of my life? Do I want to go through this again? Finally, I decided I’d rather...

Continue reading...

Rhymes with "billions of dollars"

To be fair though, I didn't realize he was 70 in 2012 (napkin math puts him at 62ish when Revenge of the Sith was done?). So yeah, I would want to retire too. Personally I'd like to be involved a "little" in future projects, he could have stayed on as a "Star Wars Architect" or such....

I mean, what's the worst that could happen? Sell it all to Disney who will hire a truckload of inept monkeys to drive the bus off a cliff? Surely that... oh right.

*no offense intended to my fellow monkeys.....

Become a Patron!
Back