GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3080 Ti EAGLE 12G Video Card Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
gigabyte_3080ti_eagle_banner.jpg

Introduction

On June 2nd, 2021 NVIDIA launched its GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition video card.  A day later, add-in-board partner video cards released their video cards.  It’s now time for the AIBs (add-in-board partners) to have their turn, and in that vein, we have a GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3080 Ti EAGLE 12G GV-N308TEAGLE-12GD video card to review today. 

This is our first retail custom video card reviewed here based on the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti GPU.  When we say this is a retail card, we mean it, we paid for shipping and borrowed from a generous forum user.  This person bought this video card from winning a Newegg...

Continue reading...

Outstanding review, I think you showed for gaming, the 3080 Ti, the lowest end version from Gigabyte, keeps up and exceeds a 3090 OC version. In at least games, the 3090 makes very little sense for the extra money.

Now rumors of better card availability abound as well with increase production and the bubble pop of Crypto. Hopefully good news for those looking to get this generation of video cards.

Now Doom Eternal RT is performing very well with Nvidia and looks like AMD (but not as good) as well. I hope you get a chance to explore this update in the future.

Game features are a thing I'd like to be able to test more, we have a lot of backlogged hardware to get through, but when I can, I would like to look at Ray Tracing and DLSS and FSR in games that have been released.

In at least games, the 3090 makes very little sense for the extra money.
Even JHH didn't bill it as primarily a gaming card; they had a whole segment about using the extra VRAM for content creation and so on at the launch (the only one I've watched in my life).

Obviously, more = better for some things, but the margins between these in terms of performance pale in comparison to just being able to buy any of them!

This is the card I ended up with from Newegg's launch day shuffle. So far it's been a solid card and I've been able to play everything at 4k@100+ FPS. I average roughly 130 frames in Doom eternal 4k everything on and maxed out with the quality DLSS setting.

The only down side (not really) is that it's ugly as sin and while it's not a deal breaker I'm casually looking to trade for an ASUS or keeping my fingers crossed I get my notification for the water cooled eVGA model.

This is the card I ended up with from Newegg's launch day shuffle. So far it's been a solid card and I've been able to play everything at 4k@100+ FPS. I average roughly 130 frames in Doom eternal 4k everything on and maxed out with the quality DLSS setting.

The only down side (not really) is that it's ugly as sin and while it's not a deal breaker I'm casually looking to trade for an ASUS or keeping my fingers crossed I get my notification for the water cooled eVGA model.
I don't think its ugly, but its too d@mn tall.

Last edited:
I don't think its ugly, but its too d@mn tall.
I can see where height might be a problem, but if it were, wouldn't a cooler like this not be optimal regardless most of the time?

I can see where height might be a problem, but if it were, wouldn't a cooler like this not be optimal regardless most of the time?
I was surprised that at 79% fan speed Brent could not hear it and 100% was quiet as well. So I guess priorities on noise or size have to come into play.

I was surprised that at 79% fan speed Brent could not hear it and 100% was quiet as well. So I guess priorities on noise or size have to come into play.
Brent has much more experience when it comes to what is quiet and what is loud in terms of GPUs. His opinion is arguably 'qualified' in this regard.

And you're absolutely right when it comes to priorities - I'd been wanting to 'slim' my desktop down for some time but I've found that such an endeavor would require some very precise planning if noise were to be kept in check. Essentially, as a rough measure, when keeping performance the same reductions in volume generally will cause increases in noise. It's not linear but more 'stepped' so there's some wiggle room at certain ranges of volume, in other words, you can usually drop volume a little bit without affecting noise or performance, but large drops in volume will generally result in quite a bit of noise increase.

But the overall point is this: if the GPU is 'too big', perhaps it's the case that's too small ;)

Become a Patron!
Back