GIGABYTE Launches AORUS RTX 3080 Ti Gaming Box, an External Water-Cooled GPU Enclosure with NVIDIA’s Latest Flagship Graphics Card

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
gigabyte-aorus-rtx-3080ti-gaming-box-aero-laptop-1024x576.jpg
Image: GIGABYTE

GIGABYTE introduced its AORUS RTX 3090 and AORUS RTX 3080 Gaming Box products last year. Billed as the world’s first water-cooled external graphics enclosures, the family now includes a new member in the form of the AORUS RTX 3080 Ti—an AORUS Gaming Box leveraging NVIDIA’s latest flagship Ampere graphics card. Similar to its siblings, GIGABYTE’s new AORUS RTX 3080 Ti Gaming Box features the company’s WATERFORCE all-in-one cooling system with large copper plate, 240 mm aluminum radiator, and two 120 mm fans to keep temperatures in check. Connectivity comprises 1x Thunderbolt 3 Type-C port, 2x HDMI ports, 3x DisplayPorts, 3x USB 3.0 ports, and 1x Ethernet port...

Continue reading...

This was always kind of a neat concept.

Back in 2010 I built my own DIY Vidock using an Expresscard to PCIe adapter, a 12V AC Adapter and a custom bocx and cable harness.

I popped a Radeon 6850 in there and used it for on the road games when traveling for work.

The problem was the inability to display the output on the internal screen, so I was dependent on the hotel I stayed in having a decent TV with an available HDMI input, which in 2010 was hit or miss.

I don't see a price for this thing, but if I had to wager a guess, it probably costs enough that unless you plan on traveling with it, you might as well just build a desktop.

I'm surprised they didn't become more popular with the advent of Thunderbolt and USB C. Seems like it would be almost perfect for the dorm room crowd - take the laptop to class for school and have it be light weight and get great battery life, dock it in the dorm for high power gaming. But yeah, the price is probably such that you could just buy a cheap laptop and a nice desktop and get that anyway...

These tend to pop up on the Mac side every new generation of MBPs, but for people who could use them, I imagine they would just get a full blown Mac Pro anyway (and there aren't exactly a lot of discrete video cards that work third party on OS X anyway)

Become a Patron!
Back