Google Switching to In-House Processor “Whitechapel” for Future Pixel and Chromebook Devices

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
google-pixel-phone-tablet-1024x576.jpg
Image: Google

It may not be long until Google ditches Qualcomm and Intel for its own brand of chips. According to a report from Axios, the company has made significant headway in the development of its in-house processor, “Whitechapel,” which was built with the help of Samsung and its 5 nm process.

While Google allegedly has working chips on hand already, it isn’t clear when they’ll debut in the company’s first-party lineup of Pixel products, which comprise smartphones and Chromebook laptops. We do know that the chip is an 8-core ARM processor with Google’s machine-learning technology, however – “a portion of its silicon will also be dedicated to improving the performance and ‘always-on’...

Continue reading...

I have enjoyed the Pixel line so far. Interested to see what these new processors will offer

Haha yeah, i give Google 3 years in this effort before everything stagnates and gets cancelled, besides being overpriced.
Everyone and their mother wants to do processors now, sure.

Haha yeah, i give Google 3 years in this effort before everything stagnates and gets cancelled, besides being overpriced.
Everyone and their mother wants to do processors now, sure.
Yup, you can say that about all of Alphabet and not be too far from base.

As far as everyone wanting to do CPUs now... I dunno.
China will keep doing it because the government is funding it.
There are a lot of ARM players, but I don’t know that outside of Qualcom/ Samsung/ Apple any will really go very far.

PPC is pretty well done

x86 is locked behind so many patents no one else is breaking in.

I think, if nVidia is more or less backing away from the CPU game, there probably isn’t a lot of room to get established in that market.

Become a Patron!
Back