Half-Life: Alyx Can Already Be Played without a VR Headset: Commands Found Enabling KB/M Controls

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
half-life-alyx-hands-up-1024x576.jpg
Image: Valve

Well, that was quick. Following Valve’s admission that a mod was pretty much inevitable, Valve News Network’s Tyler McVicker has shared how Half-Life: Alyx can be played – to some extent – without a VR headset just two days after the game’s launch.

Apparently, there are already commands built into the title that enable some level of control with the traditional keyboard and mouse setup. One of these, “vr_enable_fake_vr_test,” allows players to shoot using a mouse. Heck, there’s even a way to enable a HUD and weapons from Half-Life 2 (thanks...

Continue reading...

I feel that stating the game can be played without a headset overstating the reality.

I hope someone can make this happen, I'm sure they will.
Although I shelled out for the full Index system, I think this game is undoubtedly one of the best I've played in a long, long time.
I think KB/M/monitor will loose some atmosphere and difficulty, but it is still VERY much worth the 50 bucks.
The Valve team should just get to work on this and fix it for KB/M.
I get why they want to have a VR exclusive, but really how much money do you need?

It's not about the money, it's about driving people to VR.
As while it is firmly in the "not going away" camp, it is also still well within "well, it's such a small market - do we really want to invest into it?" territory.

To my knowledge, then the.. shall we say, "important" people over there - those people would like to see VR really be a thing.

Become a Patron!
Back