Halo Infinite Looks Like a Weird Imitation of the Original

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
halo-infinite-master-chief-grappling-hook-1024x576.jpg
Image: 343 Industries

Microsoft opened its Xbox Games Showcase today with our first look at Halo Infinite’s campaign gameplay, but what we saw was pretty surprising – and not in a good way, either. While this is totally up for debate (the game isn’t finished, after all!), 343 Industries appears to have created a clone of Bungie’s Combat Evolved, but with none of the 2001 original’s magic.

You can check out the official campaign gameplay premiere footage below and decide for yourself, but something just seems – off. The textures look clean, sure, but why do so many objects look like they came out of a Minecraft game? Just take a look at some of the architecture that’s far off in the distance. Blocky, odd, and uninspired seem to describe them well, which is strange for a franchise that’s known for having epic skyboxes. And what’s up with that Covenant...

Continue reading...

This was actually my first thought watching the demo today. Looked unsurprisingly dull, in my opinion. 343i has yet to make a good original Halo game.

Considering Bungie wasn't able to either it's not much of a surprise.

This was actually my first thought watching the demo today. Looked unsurprisingly dull, in my opinion. 343i has yet to make a good original Halo game.

I really liked Halo 4. Speaking of which, for some odd reason 343 reverted the Masterchief's armor design to his pre-Halo 4/5 look. I'm actually not a fan of that. I liked the updated look from those games.

Become a Patron!
Back