Halo Infinite Loses Its Top Director

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
halo-infinite-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: 343 Industries

Microsoft has been gaining plenty of goodwill lately for its impressive next-gen hardware and services (e.g., Xbox Game Pass), but one wrench in the cogs appears to be 343 Industries’ new Halo Infinite title, which aims to reinvent the franchise with open-world gameplay.

According to a Bloomberg report, Halo Infinite has just lost its project director, Chris Lee. Lee happens to be one of the franchise’s biggest overseers, having produced every major Halo game since Halo 3: ODST (i.e...

Continue reading...

343 has been pooping the bed here .. my wife and I were excited about Halo 5 until we found out there was no split screen co-op .. big Debbie-downer there .. now we get this... reverse Halo game .. they take the old Halo games and put some make up on it and then make a new Halo game and put old original Halo:Combat Evolved textures on/in it.. What's Bungie's phone number again?

343 has been pooping the bed here .. my wife and I were excited about Halo 5 until we found out there was no split screen co-op .. big Debbie-downer there .. now we get this... reverse Halo game .. they take the old Halo games and put some make up on it and then make a new Halo game and put old original Halo:Combat Evolved textures on/in it.. What's Bungie's phone number again?

I didn't like Halo 5. That was pretty much where I lost interest in the series. I didn't care for playing as Locke. Specifically, I hated going back through the same areas I already went through as the Master Chief. It was a lazy design. It was something I didn't care for in Halo 2, but at least the Arbiter was interesting as a character. Playing the Arbiter was at least a little different than playing the Master Chief. They also didn't play through the same spots.

I'd give the 6th installment a chance but it's not looking good when a game has trouble like this and such things have popped up in the news frequently. Last time we heard about people leaving along with game delays, etc., we got Mass Effect Andromeda. While it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, it was certainly worse than its predecessors.

343i has never done well with the Halo series, let's be honest. Instead of getting more comfortable with the series and putting out progressively better titles, each one has gotten worse. Even though Xbox Game Studios seems from the outside to be a better division now than it was back when Bungie split from Microsoft, I don't think Bungie are interested in directly working with them again. Halo should really just be laid to rest already.

I was so dissatisfied with Halo 5 that my expectations for Halo Infinite are pretty grounded. Hopefully 343 gets their act together and turns out a decent game.

With that being said, Halo:MCC is finally in pretty good shape. They have patched the everliving hell out of it since launch, matchmaking finally works properly, and they keep adding game after game to it. I recently finished Reach and am working through Halo 3 right now. Hopefully they learned something snooping through Bungie's source code.

I may be on of the only people in the world (gamer wise) who has never played a Halo game nor played any of the Half-life games (except Counter Strike)

Become a Patron!
Back