Horizon Zero Dawn Gets 60 FPS Enhanced Performance Patch for PS5

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
horizon-zero-dawn-mountains-1024x576.jpg
Image: Guerrilla Games

For nearly a year now, Horizon Zero Dawn fans with PlayStation 5 consoles have been wondering why one of the PS4’s biggest titles still hasn’t received a performance update that allows the game to run at 60 FPS on Sony’s next-gen console.

That day has finally arrived.

Guerrilla Games has released an Enhanced Performance Patch for Horizon Zero Dawn that allows the game to run at 60 FPS on the PlayStation 5. The original game only ran at 30 FPS, but now, players can journey through the lands of the Nora, Carja, and Banuk at a much smoother pace.

Here is what the Enhanced Performance Patch includes, as shared by Guerrilla:

Unlocked framerate to 60 FPS when running on a PS5 console in backwards compatibility mode.Improved streaming performance when running on a PS5 console in backwards compatibility mode.Removed Graphics Mode option from the...

Continue reading...

I wanted 60fps (and a mouse) so badly when I went through this game on PS4 back in 2017. Been nice seeing a bunch of 30fps PS4 games get 60fps on PS5.

I'm on the fence for getting this one for the PC..

Its difficult for me to understand why keyboard and mouse support aren't mandated for games in consoles. Can't really see a big technical reason. I think it would increase console use if anything. I played the game in PS4. Played it in normal difficulty, did fine for a bit. As the game got harder, my skills didn't scale up, there was a part I was stuck, I tried and tried, made it, but then it got harder... I just can't keep grinding, I ain't into masocore. So I dropped the difficulty to whatever was low, and finished the game... But it did lose a lot in doing that. If they stayed as I started, where I struggled some but could beat it yeah, would have been cool. I don't know what that entails though.

Last edited:
Its difficult for me to understand why keyboard and mouse support aren't mandated for games in consoles. Can't really see a big technical reason. I think it would increase console use if anything. I played the game in PS4. Played it in normal difficulty, did fine for a bit. As the game got harder, my skills didn't scale up, there was a part I was stuck, I tried and tried, made it, but then it got harder... I just can't keep grinding, I ain't into masocore. So I dropped the difficulty to whatever was low, and finished the game... But it did lose a lot in doing that. If they stayed as I started, where I struggled some but could beat it yeah, would have been cool. I don't know what that entails though.

If consoles ever got really good KB+M support (Xbox is pretty close, tbh), I'd probably do the bulk of my gaming on them than a PC.

If consoles ever got really good KB+M support (Xbox is pretty close, tbh), I'd probably do the bulk of my gaming on them than a PC.

You must be single. ;) The primary benefit to me gaming on my PC other than performance and optimizations (mods) and such. Is the fact that I can go to my office put my headset on and game and tune out everything else. My wife hates it but she has to deal. And it's easier than me dealing with her crap sometimes.

I flip back and forth between PC and Console - depends on the game I'm hooked on at the moment. Both have pros/cons for me.

I like that the console is stupid easy - I just turn it on and everything works. No worrying about minimum requirements, driver updates, malware/viruses, or fidgeting with in-game settings. Also, every game and every interface is designed to be used by a drunk guy on the couch, which brings a nice consistency to all games, although it does limit what you can do (or at least do well). And I don't have to chase hardware upgrades, often which on a PC can cost as much as an entire console itself.

BUT

There are a lot more games on the PC, they tend to be less expensive, you can pick your storefront to buy them from (or sail the seven seas). You can tweak to your hearts desire on pretty much everything, which can be fun. PC is a much more versatile machine, for certain. And the hardware in and of itself is a hobby. And you get things like mods and more frequent updates on the PC that don't really exist on consoles.

I can't stand playing MMOs or strategy (live Civ) on a Console at all. FPS games are hit or miss - mostly dependign on how "casual" they are, but games like adventure games and single player RPGs I tend to like better on consoles.

So for me it's a mixed bag. I like having them both, I'm glad it's not a discrete choice.

Its difficult for me to understand why keyboard and mouse support aren't mandated for games in consoles. Can't really see a big technical reason. I think it would increase console use if anything.
I think there are two reasons. Sony doesn't want the PS to be confused or even come into association with computers. And the other reason is that it doesn't have native drivers for mouse/kb, so each developer would have to code their own driver into their game to make it work.
Of course if there was a will sony could add native support in a heartbeat to the system software, but the first reason means there is no will.

I think there are two reasons. Sony doesn't want the PS to be confused or even come into association with computers. And the other reason is that it doesn't have native drivers for mouse/kb, so each developer would have to code their own driver into their game to make it work.
Of course if there was a will sony could add native support in a heartbeat to the system software, but the first reason means there is no will.
I always thought it was because it was hard to use a KBM on the couch. Sony has KBMsupport, they were encouraging devs to use the touchpad on the DS4 (but it sucked too bad to really be useful), and if you plug in generic KB/M the OS will identify them and use them (although the main UI won't use a mouse) - so the drivers and API all exist there.

You may be right in that the API is more difficult to use than it should be, that I can't speak to.

I always thought it was because it was hard to use a KBM on the couch. Sony has KBMsupport, they were encouraging devs to use the touchpad on the DS4 (but it sucked too bad to really be useful), and if you plug in generic KB/M the OS will identify them and use them (although the main UI won't use a mouse) - so the drivers and API all exist there.

You may be right in that the API is more difficult to use than it should be, that I can't speak to.
It's a basic keyboard driver built into the UI software that is not exposed to games running on the console imo, but if anybody knows correct me.
Another reason I heard years ago for the lack of support was multiplayer games, fearing kb/mouse players would have too much of an advantage over controller peasants. But with many games supporting crossplay that's kind of a mute point now.

That's strange, I played on normal and was fine until the final boss, had to drop down to easy there and I'm not into hard games at all, I never even got past the starting bit in bloodborne.

You just have to use the tools that you have to best suit the enemy you are fighting.

Become a Patron!
Back