Horizon Zero Dawn Makes Great Use of Higher-Threaded CPUs and PCIe Bandwidth

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
horizon-zero-dawn-4k-ultimate-screenshot-durante-1024x576.jpg

If you thought that Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition would be your run-of-the-mill PC port, think again. According to an analysis by DSFix mod author Peter “Durante” Thoman, the performance of Guerrilla Games’s open-world action RPG can vary greatly depending on the amount of processor cores and threads that’s available. Just take a look at the benchmark below.

horizon-zero-dawn-cpu-scaling.png

As we can see, Horizon Zero Dawn scales incredibly well and makes full use of today’s higher core counts. An 8C/16T processor will deliver an average frame rate of 149 FPS, but stepping down to a 4C/8T processor results in a 35 percent decrease (104.6 FPS).

“While full cores without...

Continue reading...

Interesting results. Hearing performance blows for the most part though.

I wonder how it scales on amd as opposed to Intel. Like will my setup crush this at 1440p or will I need more video card. Waiting on cheaper prices.

Still wish I had known this was coming to PC. I played through it in 2017 by borrowing both the system and the game. The whole time I was wishing for mouse aim and 60fps. Bought the game for $10 from Amazon when I got my own PS4 in 2019, so I could have it for my collection and to go through the Frozen Wilds DLC (wish I could just transfer my save file over to PC). Now I'm wondering if the sequel or any other Sony exclusives with Sony-owned IPs will eventually make their way to PC. Might be a good idea to start waiting 3-4 years after a Sony-exclusive game releases so I can see if it will show up on PC.

Interesting results. Hearing performance blows for the most part though.
Only place I've seen that has said that so far is Ars. Everyone else I've read is saying it is an amazing port.

Become a Patron!
Back