HTC Announces Vive Pro 2 VR Headset with 5K Resolution Display, 120 Hz Refresh Rate

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
htc-vive-pro-2-hero-shot-1024x576.jpg
Image: HTC

HTC has announced the successor to its popular virtual reality headset, the Vive Pro. The Vive Pro 2 is a drastic improvement over the original thanks to its new 5K resolution display, which delivers 2.5K (2,448 x 2,448 pixels) to each eye (4,896 x 2,448 pixels combined), as well as a fluid refresh rate of 120 Hz and an FOV of up to 120 degrees. HTC’s Vive Pro 2 is also the first VR headset to feature Display Stream Compression technology for maximum visual fidelity. The headset-only Vive Pro 2 and full-kit Vive Pro 2 package (with Base Station 2.0 and Vive Controllers) are priced at $749 and $1,399, respectively.

VIVE Pro 2 has fine-adjustable inter-pupillary distance (IPD), evenly distributed weight balance, adjustable head strap, and a quick-adjustable sizing dial. Perfect for finding your...

Continue reading...

I like the Vive Pro 2 specs myself. 2448 x 2448 per eye at 120Hz. 120 FOV.
My Vive has 1080x1200 per eye at 90Hz with 110 FOV. I wonder if HTC is still using Fresnel lenses, because the halo effect is NOT GOOD AT ALL.

I like the Vive Pro 2 specs myself. 2448 x 2448 per eye at 120Hz. 120 FOV.
My Vive has 1080x1200 per eye at 90Hz with 110 FOV. I wonder if HTC is still using Fresnel lenses, because the halo effect is NOT GOOD AT ALL.
Kind of have to use Fresnel lenses to keep them that shallow, I'd presume. They can be done well though as evidenced by both Canon and Nikon putting out some extremely nice telephoto Fresnels, and by that I mean in the USD thousands range.

Yes, I guess so. After five years I am hoping there has been a stark improvement in lens quality for high-end headsets. The Vive Pro 2 uses dual element fresnel lenses which I have just been informed allows for a greater FOV. https://twitter.com/shen/status/1392168114448527362

The Valve Index also has them, so now I need to locate a review that mentions improvements, if any, other than the FOV.

Went to Pre-Order, no $50 discount. It sent me to VivePort which I could find nothing there to indicate how to get the $50 discount. Went to Support and Chat, basically you have to sign up for their newsletter. You will get an email with the promotional code.

Vive.com
Go to bottom of page, heading "stay-up-to-date with the future"
Subscribe to their News letter

Become a Patron!
Back