Huawei’s 8-Core, 7 Nm Kunpeng 920 Processor Isn’t Very Good

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
huawei-kunpeng-920-close-up-1024x576.jpg
Image: 二斤自制

It appears that China has a lot of catching up to do in the CPU segment. A Chinese YouTuber (via Tom’s Hardware) has gotten her hands on a desktop PC with Huawei’s new 8-core, ARM-based Kunpeng 920 processor, which is built on a 7 nm process, but she didn’t have a great experience with it. One of the major problems is that the chip only supports China’s UOS operating system, which has terrible app support.

“The narrator commented that the UOS operating system runs smooth and has an intuitive interface, and it even supports a 4K resolution at 60Hz via a Yeston RX550 graphics card,” wrote Tom’s Hardware. “Still, she had to pay an extra 800 Yuan (~$115) to gain access to the app...

Continue reading...

From another thread elsewhere on this thing I understand that the reason for this is that they lost their right to use ARM Holding's licenses.

Apparently - for some strange reason - U.K. company ARM Holding's is subject to U.S. export restrictions?

Anyway, this means they used some cores designed for integer work in the cloud, which don't depend on ARM Holding's core license, They utterly stink at anything floating point, and as such are not great for client loads.

"They utterly stink at anything floating point"... ie: apps and games.

Because I am an elder person, I know all about the pre-2k era of FPU crippled chips like 6x86, K6, etc. Look great on paper, ok prices, maybe ok for editing word docs... but try to play a game on one of those and you could hear the cpu crying.

But you know what, just the fact they are actually producing these awful cpu's (also look up the Zhaoxin, aka VIA C3's zombie chip based on Cyrix stuff https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhaoxin) ... eventually they are going to improve them to where they become usable. And being usable is good enough to sell 9 billion of the things in China and other affiliated markets.

But they still won't play Crysis :)

Last edited:
Yep, this will be the stuff of legend for China as a nation.. how they overcame being behind, and so on , same as the legends in the USA.
I would think twice about being one to make fun of these, specially if you are kind of a their loss is our win (zero sum? Would be the term) thinker when it comes to China.

Become a Patron!
Back