IBM Reveals Next-Generation POWER10 Processor

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
ibm-power10-7-nm-processors-1024x576.jpg
Image: IBM

IBM has shared our first look at its newest CPU, the IBM POWER10. This is a 7 nm processor that provides up to 3x greater processor energy efficiency, workload capacity, and container density than its predecessor. POWER10 will be available in the second half of 2021.

Original Press Release:

IBM (NYSE: IBM) today revealed the next generation of its IBM POWER central processing unit (CPU) family: IBM POWER10. Designed to offer a platform to meet the unique needs of enterprise hybrid cloud computing, the IBM POWER10 processor uses a design focused on energy efficiency and performance in a 7nm form factor with an expected improvement of up to 3x greater processor energy efficiency, workload capacity, and container density than the IBM POWER9 processor.

Designed over five years with hundreds of new and pending patents, the IBM POWER10 processor is an...

Continue reading...

IBM always surprises. I suspect they will outlast Intel at this point as a top tier it company.

IBM always surprises. I suspect they will outlast Intel at this point as a top tier it company.

Doubtful, they have sold off (Lenovo) or gotten out of the market for (SAN storage, XIV etc) hardware. I think they are trying to totally get out of the hardware business and be purely a services/support/consultant/cloud type company... but then articles like this pop up. So they must still be making iSeries/Power system high end ubercomputers (successors of the as/400 lines) apparently.

I worked for IBM for a few years in my career. The sheer number of patents they file is boggling. I remember an electricity free storage they were designing for use in space stations and satellites exposed to large amounts of electromagnetic radiation. It was basically using an indented surface to represent on or off. (1 or 0) as the storage. It had some concerns around capacity and the effects of gravitational forces on the material itself. Got in a cool discussion about it. Well over 10 years ago now and I haven't heard anything about it so I don't think it became a thing.

I worked for IBM for a few years in my career. The sheer number of patents they file is boggling. I remember an electricity free storage they were designing for use in space stations and satellites exposed to large amounts of electromagnetic radiation. It was basically using an indented surface to represent on or off. (1 or 0) as the storage. It had some concerns around capacity and the effects of gravitational forces on the material itself. Got in a cool discussion about it. Well over 10 years ago now and I haven't heard anything about it so I don't think it became a thing.

Punch cards, the future storage of space!

Become a Patron!
Back