Indiana Jones Game in Development by Wolfenstein Studio MachineGames

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
indiana-jones-and-the-temple-of-doom-closeup-fedora-1024x576.jpg
Image: Lucasfilm

Has Microsoft found its Uncharted killer? Bethesda and Lucasfilm Games have announced that a new Indiana Jones title is in development by MachineGames, the same critically acclaimed studio that gave us Wolfenstein: The New Order and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. Story and gameplay details are unknown, but fans can look forward to a “wholly original, standalone tale set at the height of the career of the famed adventurer.”

“A new Indiana Jones game with an original story is in development from our studio, @MachineGames, and will be executive produced by Todd Howard, in collaboration with @LucasfilmGames,” Bethesda tweeted. “It’ll be some time before we have more to reveal, but we’re very excited to...

Continue reading...

I guess the studio should be able to pull off the Nazi killing aspect of Indy at least.

I wonder if they'll go Wolfenstein-style action or make it more exploratory like the Uncharted series.

With that studio it could easily go either way.

I honestly haven't been to excited by anything they have done. The Wolfenstein reboot wasn't bad, but the games in the series were a little too "basic shooter" for me, with way too much of a "macho muscle dude" main character, and completely unrealistic machines and whatnot. They lacked the depth of great games that I've really loved.

Still, I got ~20 hours of mindless distraction out of "The New Order" and about 40 hours out of "The New Colossus", so I guess that counts for something. "The Old Blood" was just a boring prequel and Youngblood completely lost my interest.

I have a lot of fun memories of playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis back in the day. I am pretty sure they are not making a LucasArts/Sierra style adventure game though. Time will tell how it turns out I guess. I am prepared to be underwhelmed, but as they say, the key to happiness is having low expectations :p

With how bad The New Colossus and Youngblood were, I expect this to be hot garbage. I take it this is one of the first publicly announced license deals from the new Lucasfilm Games.

With how bad The New Colossus and Youngblood were, I expect this to be hot garbage. I take it this is one of the first publicly announced license deals from the new Lucasfilm Games.

You never know.

My impression was that the folks at MachineGames were technically competent, but maybe not the best at putting together the most interesting deep and layered story.

There is no reason if they keep that same technical competency, and add some good writers, and voice actors they couldn't put together something more compelling.

The thing is, I generally find that games made after large TV and movie franchises often wind up being a bit bland. There is little incentive to take risks when you are in this position. The goal is to just further sales of an existing franchise. This is why my expectations are low. If it turns out otherwise it will be a positive surprise :p

The secret to happiness is low expectations!

First person Indy? Or are they going to shift to 3rd person ala the Tomb Raider reboots. All of the Machinegames stuff has been 1st person that I am aware of.

Become a Patron!
Back