Intel’s First Iris Xe Desktop Graphics Card Can’t Beat an AMD Radeon RX 550

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
asus-dg1-4g-iris-xe-graphics-card-1024x576.jpg
Image: ASUS

ASUS’ DG1-4GB graphics card, which leverages Intel’s all-new Iris Xe DG1 GPU, is slower than AMD’s nearly four-year-old Radeon RX 550. This is according to benchmarks shared by BaseMark that list the DG1-4GB with Vulkan (High) and Vulkan (Medium) scores of 1,267 and 17,289, respectively. AMD’s RX 550 GPU, in contrast, manages a higher score of 17,619 in the latter test. What ASUS’ DG1-4GB graphics card does seem to line up with is AMD’s even more ancient Radeon HD 7850, which scores 17,349 under a similar configuration.

BasemarkASUS DG1https://t.co/LEs0PVVKHE...

Continue reading...

Now we know why they only use it in a particular OEM configuration.

I guess I don't get the genius that is behind making these only compatible with very particular Intel setups ... ?

I guess I don't get the genius that is behind making these only compatible with very particular Intel setups ... ?
Got to be some cross between marketing and logistics, in my opinion.

With their fabs in disarray and TSMC topped out, Intel can't make the cards we'd expect that they'd want to make- so while it's important to get working product into actual consumer hands, between the actual volume they can produce and the very real need for managing expectations, something like this that works strongly to avoid embarrassing comparisons seems to make a bit of sense.

And from our limited perspective, I think a fanless(!!!) part falling in next to an RX550 ain't half bad!

Become a Patron!
Back