Intel 11th Gen Core “Rocket Lake-S” Processor Shortages Are Inbound

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-11th-gen-core-i5-i7-i9-processor-boxes-1024x576.jpg
Image: Intel

Enthusiasts who are planning to upgrade to Intel’s new 11th Gen Core “Rocket Lake-S” processors should do so sooner rather than later, as the company is reportedly facing supply issues that will result in a shortage of these chips in the very near future. The news comes from Wccftech, which received a statement from Intel suggesting that it’s struggling with securing crucial semiconductor components and substrates for manufacturing its CPUs. These shortages are expected to result in select SKUs (e.g., Core i7 and Core i5 models) being a lot more difficult to find in the upcoming quarter.

Exclusive: Demand To Exceed Supply For Intel Rocket Lake Due To Substrate Shortage https://t.co/WpygirvYCG pic.twitter.com/IGTG1UKGMG— Wccftech (@wccftech)...

Continue reading...

Just want to know which it really is: supply less than demand, or demand more than supply?
If I didn’t have my tinfoil hat on, I would say it was entirely intentional, but only ~after~ the less-than-glowing release reviews hit.

If I didn’t have my tinfoil hat on, I would say it was entirely intentional, but only ~after~ the less-than-glowing release reviews hit.
I assume production will increase as 14nm fabs are moved off of Skylake derivatives... but that has to happen in concert with whatever 10nm / 7nm process they have 'working' being phased in. Rocket Lake is by no means bad, and where available is far from a terrible buy. Benchmarks are one thing, and far from unimportant, but in a world where many things are difficult to purchase, it's not like Rocket Lake is slow. It's perhaps literally what could be expected given its heritage, Netbursty though that now seems.

:cool:

Just hope this gets fixed before we need to do a big server refresh. Sigh..

Become a Patron!
Back