Intel Achieves New Milestone with 7-Nanometer “Meteor Lake” CPU Architecture

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-pat-gelsinger-7-nm-meteor-lake-unleashed-event-1024x576.jpg
Image: Intel

Despite being late to the party, Intel’s first 7-nanometer CPU architecture appears to be on track to challenge AMD’s next-generation Ryzen processors. This is according to a tweet shared today by executive vice president and general manager of the Client Computing Group, Gregory Bryant, who noted that Intel has begun taping in the compute tile for its first 7 nm client CPUs code-named “Meteor Lake.” Intel’s first Meteor Lake processors are expected to ship in 2023 and feature support for DDR5 memory and PCIe 5.0.

Great way to start the week! We are taping in our 7nm Meteor Lake compute tile right now.A well-deserved celebration by the team on this milestone. #IAmIntel...

Continue reading...

Hmm...

Apple A12 - 7nm - Sept 2018
Ryzen Zen 2 series - 7nm - July 2019
Intel Meteor Lake - 7nm - 2023 maybe?

It's great news for Intel, but really hard to spin it any way other than "Holy Crap - we are behind the curve"

** ok I realize Intel 7nm doesn't necessarily mean any one else's 7nm.. but it's not like Intel's 10nm really took off in the mean time either - apart from a few mobile-only showings and ... maybe Alder Lake later this year?

Intel needs a win pretty badly, there is blood in the water. If it were just AMD on their heels, I don't think I'd be so worried. But Apple's M1 is impressive --- not that it will convince the world to run MacOS or iOS, but it may convince Microsoft and others they don't need x86 to move forward. The growth has been in mobile for a long time, Intel missed that train, and now it looks like the Mobile development has got enough momentum to come around on the backside and lap desktop/laptops and take that market over too.

That would leave x86 to ... some legacy applications, and maybe datacenter ... ~maybe~. I mean, you can still buy a PPC based computer if you really wanted to, shoot - you can still buy a new 68k based computer ... although I think DEC Alpha/VAX finally bit the dust.

At least its a step in the right direction. But it remains to be seen if it can be used for desktop or just mobile.

Intel has been stuck at 14nm for what, 6-7 years now? and it was late already IIRC.

Become a Patron!
Back