Intel Celebrates 10 Years of Thunderbolt

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-thunderbolt-3-connector-close-1024x576.jpg
Image: Intel

Intel’s speedy hardware interface, Thunderbolt, has turned 10 years old. The company celebrated the connector technology’s 10th anniversary in a newsroom post today, which included a brief history of the standard and how it was designed to consolidate data, video, and power into a single, small connector for new levels of convenience and practicality. At the time of its introduction, Thunderbolt turned heads by its ability to transfer full-length, HD movies in less than 30 seconds and back up a year of continuous MP3 music playback in just over 10 minutes.

“Thunderbolt’s simplicity, reliability, and performance are important whether you are working or learning at home, or you are creating content or you are a gamer,” said Jason Ziller, general manager, Client Connectivity...

Continue reading...

I use it all the time on the Mac - it was a nice upgrade from Firewire. I like it better than USB, it just hasn't had nearly as much support.

Macs are the only place I ever really saw Thunderbolt get used.

I have hardware with it, never used it.

Thought about it with a NUC, I contemplated adding an external video card, but the price, is no bueno.

Become a Patron!
Back