Intel Core i5-12600K Alder Lake DDR4 vs DDR5 Performance

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
12600K_ddr4ddr5_banner1-1024x259.png

Introduction

What’s better, DDR4 or DDR5? That is the question on everyone’s minds when it comes to what RAM to run on Alder Lake. In our Alder Lake DDR4 vs DDR5 RAM performance comparison review today, we are going to run DDR4 versus DDR5 on an Alder Lake CPU Z690 platform and see if there are any performance differences in synthetic benchmarks and gaming.

Intel recently launched its 12th Generation Intel Core Processors A.K.A. Alder Lake at the end of October this year. We recently did our first full review with an Alder Lake CPU on the new Z690 platform reviewing the Intel Core i5-12600K...
Continue reading...

Last edited:
How is that MSI cooler doing? CPU cooling for alder lake is my main big question atm and MSI liquid coolers seem to be one of the few that are compatible that I can get over here.

Especially worried after reading that article where they show bent CPU heatsinks with dodgy cooler mounts.

How is that MSI cooler doing? CPU cooling for alder lake is my main big question atm and MSI liquid coolers seem to be one of the few that are compatible that I can get over here.

Especially worried after reading that article where they show bent CPU heatsinks with dodgy cooler mounts.

It's the best cooler that I've had on the test bench (on the 10980XE though). I'm sure Brent has better feedback on Alder Lake specifically...

I'll have more experience in the near future, have it installed on a 12700K right now, and then 12900K, so far as far as the 12600K goes it went real well, and that CPU stayed cool very well with it, however, I have been running it on 100% fan speeds for testing purposes, so it's loud. I will be getting to temp testing on the 12700K soon, and then 12900K ,and we'll really see how it holds up. As for bent heat spreaders, haven't noticed anything odd. I will say though that with the screws screwed into the backplate it's a lot looser than I would have thought it would be, or I should say, compared to other coolers, but it's not a problem once you screw down the block on top of the screws with the thumbscrews, it tightens up nicely, and you really can't over tighten it, it has a natural stop. Make sure to check in next week to see how the temps on the 12700K did, then in a couple more weeks the 12900K.

Does look like the risks are bigger with cheaper boards.
That's par for the course for a number of reasons. That being said, I did notice that the back plate EK offers for it's LGA 1200 / 2066 socket waterblocks is much thicker and beefier than what I've seen on pretty much every generation going way back to the pre-Sandy Bridge era.

Become a Patron!
Back