Intel Core i7-11700K Beats AMD Ryzen 9 5950X In Single-Core Performance, According to Geekbench Benchmark

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-core-new-logos-1024x576.jpg

Leakbench has discovered Geekbench scores for one of Intel’s upcoming Rocket Lake-S processors, the Core i7-11700K. The CPU managed to score 1,807 in the single-core test, which is actually 7.8 percent faster than the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (1,672) based on Geekbench’s own averages. Intel’s chip gets blown away on multi-core performance (10,673 vs. 16,515), however, as the Ryzen CPU features double the amount of cores and threads.

The Intel Core i7-11700K is an 8C/16T processor that reportedly features a 3.6 GHz base clock, 5 GHz single-core boost clock, and 4.6 GHz all-core boost clock.The chip has also been listed with 16 MB of...

Continue reading...

Promising, but only in that it means Intel's cores are still competitive. Assuming that they have all current known vulnerabilities patched in hardware, that's still a good thing, but the TDPs shown point to the CPU being half as efficient. We know it probably won't be that bad, but it's also probably not that far off either.

And it's enough of a difference to affect bottom lines; not really in terms of electricity draw (though with A/C costs added maybe), but in terms of the cooling infrastructure needed. For the same number of cores, the Ryzen CPU would simply need less cooling capacity, and for twice the cores, similar cooling capacity. Both point to an advantage in terms of either saving on cooling and space for an eight-core build or being able to handle twice the cores with the same cooling and space.

With a 9900K myself, if I were to upgrade today, I would almost certainly go with AMD. Rocket Lake-S doesn't move the needle nearly enough in enough directions to make sense.

[exceptions based on theory: depending on what Intel is able to pull off with their Xe graphics IP, they might still be attractive, especially for gaming; things like up to date video transcoding support and an AI audio (think microphone) denoiser would both be handy]

I have my doubts as to how long the chip can hold boost speeds with normal cooling.

Edit: Stupid autocorrect

Last edited:
Intel still the king of single thread on a nearly 7 year-old architecture.

Become a Patron!
Back