Intel Discloses the True Power Limits of Its 10th Gen Comet Lake-S Processors

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-10th-gen-family-cropped-1024x576.jpg
Image: Intel

We already know that Intel’s 10th Gen processors are power-hungry beasts, but being that TDP values only tell part of the story, how much energy do they crave, really? Well, we’ve got the answer(s) to that now thanks to ComputerBase, which has published a list of official PL1 (TDP), PL2, and Tau values for Comet Lake-S. The potential power demands of both the Core and Xeon W family are as follows.

TDP, PL1, PL2 and Tau from Intel Comet Lake-S “Core” in the desktop

CPUPL1PL2dewOverclockable K CPUsCore i9-10900K125 watts250 watts56 secondsCore i7-10700K125 watts229 watts56 secondsCore i5-10600K125 watts182 watts56 secondsStandard models10-core with / without graphics, Core i9-10000 (F)65 watts224 watts28 seconds8-core with / without graphics, Core...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I've been in the IT industry and an enthusiest for literally decades. But I'm going to need that in captain dummy talk.

Is that per core or per ccx equivilent chip? The write up said it could hit 250 watt or 4 times that... What? 1000 watts? Really? I think I must be misreading that or I'm just out of the loop on real power draw numbers.

No, by "that amount," I meant TDP, not the PL2 value. I've edited the text so it's less confusing.

One suggestion is this is your first real in depth look at CPU power draw perhaps cover in a key what the PL numbers and the end number means in your chart. You do a good job of giving some idea but it would be nice to have that spelled out in the article or some sort of key.

So power hungry outdated chips is power hungry?

Become a Patron!
Back