Intel High-End Gaming PC Build Guide: Spring 2020 Edition

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
Introduction

Building a new Gaming PC is probably one of the most exciting aspects of PC Gaming for enthusiasts as well as one of the most daunting at the same time. With a veritable plethora of options in almost every category users can spend literal days looking at reviews, specifications, compatibilities, and aesthetics before settling on a final build. For some of us, that is heaven. For others, it is hell. Either way, it always seems like time is short (or we just lose track of it in the process).

So, today at The FPS Review, we are putting together an Intel-based High-End Gaming PC system as an idea of what is out there and what would make for a truly enjoyable gaming experience with time for you, the reader, to spare. So sit back, relax, and take in our Intel High-End Gaming PC Build Guide for Spring 2020 to help you build a PC this spring.

Build-Guide-watermark_huge-1024x364.png

With today’s...

Continue reading...

I'm not sure I agree with the Thermaltake floe recommendation considering it has a 2 year warranty, vs a Corsair equivalent (5 year warranty) or NZXT (6 year warranty). Was there a specific reason for not going down this road?

Processor recommendations are way off. First off, the Core i9-9980XE is listed at twice its current MSRP. Price reductions occurred prior to the i9-10980XE launch. Also, the article ignores the 10th generation i9 series CPU's. While the 10980XE may not have been recommended due to poor availability, the lesser models are available for purchase. They seem to be binned slightly better than the older models and offer greater RAM capacity and more PCIe lanes.

And even if this is a no holds barred top end rig for gaming, unless that's its only purpose, the 9900K and 10900K are still faster than anything in the HEDT segment.

Processor recommendations are way off. First off, the Core i9-9980XE is listed at twice its current MSRP. Price reductions occurred prior to the i9-10980XE launch. Also, the article ignores the 10th generation i9 series CPU's. While the 10980XE may not have been recommended due to poor availability, the lesser models are available for purchase. They seem to be binned slightly better than the older models and offer greater RAM capacity and more PCIe lanes.

And even if this is a no holds barred top end rig for gaming, unless that's its only purpose, the 9900K and 10900K are still faster than anything in the HEDT segment.

The 10980XE isn't reliably in stock, numbers were bouncing as high as $2999, and it is basically the same proc as the 9980XE. For the 10th Gen's there still aren't any that play dual role as noted. You can go lower down the stack but if you do anything professional then they are a worse choice as noted. So, for that dual role top of the line system the 9980XE still gives the best balance (it's pricing may well be above MSRP but that is Intel's problem. Edit: Intel's RCP is actually $1979-1999).

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree with the Thermaltake floe recommendation considering it has a 2 year warranty, vs a Corsair equivalent (5 year warranty) or NZXT (6 year warranty). Was there a specific reason for not going down this road?

Price/performance. A warranty is great but it is one of those things that is a catch 22. Awesome to have that you paid for, but you really shouldn't need to use if the QC is there so it is an extra expense.

Become a Patron!
Back