Intel Says Its Future CPUs Will Not Be Affected by 13th and 14th Gen Core Instability Issues

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Intel has confirmed that it has begun distributing a new microcode patch (0x129) for 13th and 14th Gen Core desktop processors to address incorrect voltage requests to the chips that are causing elevated operating voltage, and with it comes the news that its future CPUs, including what is presumably the 15th Gen Core "Arrow Lake" series, will not be affected by the instability issues that their Raptor Lake siblings are facing.

See full article...

I sure as heck HOPE NOT. I mean... I would be surprised if it was, and it just go's to show how serious this is for intel that they even release a statement like this.

I sure as heck HOPE NOT. I mean... I would be surprised if it was, and it just go's to show how serious this is for intel that they even release a statement like this.

Their probably worried about brand tarnishing, maybe. I think a lot of people may look at this situation and say that they'll skip the next generation based on past experiences. With Arrow Lake on the horizon, I'm sure they want to start with a clean slate. However, people remember. You still hear about people worried about AMD Radeon drivers, and that whole thing is two decades old.

With Arrow Lake on the horizon, I'm sure they want to start with a clean slate
This my thinking as well. Intel probably won't be getting any future business from me for a while with how they handled this whole Raptor Lake mess they created.

You still hear about people worried about AMD Radeon drivers, and that whole thing is two decades old.
Those are still occasionally a problem - and AMDs software side of things is still rather much behind. And then there was the incident of AMD CPUs torching themselves and their host motherboards...

I think we're dealing with the 'find out' part of decades of motherboard manufacturers messing around, with Intel and AMD not making the effort to reign them in and enforce their spec - with these specs perhaps providing just enough rope for bad things to happen.

I'll be judging the next releases (Arrow Lake, 9000-series X3D parts) based on what's actually delivered. We might face new problems but I'll be expecting the ones that we've been through to have been handled.

I'm not convinced Intel will be able to reduce power usage by 100W while increasing IPC on what is essentially the same architecture.

I'm not convinced Intel will be able to reduce power usage by 100W while increasing IPC on what is essentially the same architecture.
Aren't they dropping HT? that might save some watts

Become a Patron!
Back