Kingston Delivers High-Capacity 4×4 NVMe PCIe Performance with NV3 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The NV3 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD, a new M.2 2280 4x4 NVMe PCIe SSD that is said to bring next-gen performance in a compact form factor, featuring read speeds of up to 6,000 MB/s and write speeds of up to 5,000 MB/s, is now available in capacities from 500 GB to 4 TB, Kingston has announced.

See full article...

I've had very good luck with their NV2 line. Very good price per performance.

Honestly.. you want fast 4k random reads . Give me a sood multi terabyte nvme on the fastest bus you can. But give me 100 gig of dram cache per terabyte. I know it's a pipe dream. But that's how you do it. Then when you launch a game it can just load all the assets as you call them into dram and maintain it until they age our with cache refreshes. Heck imagine setting it up to prefetch the game or games you plan to play. Then your loading times will effectively be bus limited.

And that drive would cost 1k for a 2 to drive.

And I would be tempted.

Honestly.. you want fast 4k random reads . Give me a sood multi terabyte nvme on the fastest bus you can. But give me 100 gig of dram cache per terabyte. I know it's a pipe dream. But that's how you do it. Then when you launch a game it can just load all the assets as you call them into dram and maintain it until they age our with cache refreshes. Heck imagine setting it up to prefetch the game or games you plan to play. Then your loading times will effectively be bus limited.

And that drive would cost 1k for a 2 to drive.

And I would be tempted.
I'm not even sure you really need the DRAM - how much penalty is there for a cache miss and then loading from TLC vs directly loading from MLC or SLC?

At this point I should just look into enterprise SLC drives. There must be a 512GB or 1TB SLC drive out there somewhere.

It's been shown numerous times that game load times are not really effected by disk speed beyond a point. I think it was GN that tested it with gen 3 and 4 drives. The load times were identical, within margin of error in testing. You're basically limited at the OS layer and game engine's ability to churn through the data.

Become a Patron!
Back