LG Increasing 48-Inch OLED TV Panel Production to 1 Million Units in 2021 Due to Rising Popularity with Gamers

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
lg-cx-48-inch-oled-gamer-1024x576.jpg
Image: LG

LG is planning to increase the production of its 48-inch OLED panels to 1 million units in 2021. The news comes from Korean outlet Chosun, which reported that the electronics giant has set up a new line in its Paju factory (Gyeonggi Province, South Korea) that will focus on producing these smaller-sized panels specifically. LG is said to have manufactured only around 220,000 48-inch OLED panels last year.

“At the factory in Guangzhou, China, which was in charge of producing 48-inch panels, it produced two large 77-inch panels from one glass plate, and additionally produced two 48-inch panels,” Chosun explained. “In contrast, the Paju plant plans to maximize production by printing only eight 48-inch panels per sheet of glass.”

“When LG Electronics first released a 48-inch...

Continue reading...

MSRP pricing shown - doesn’t look like any large shakeups. I am seriously thinking about jumping on a 48” and figuring out a way to shoehorn it into my computer setup, since anything smaller (and affordable) doesn’t look to be on the horizon.

I would have to hang this on a wall and move my desk 2 feet away from the wall to make this work haha.

Pretty cool that these have demand tho.

I would have to hang this on a wall and move my desk 2 feet away from the wall to make this work haha.

Pretty cool that these have demand tho.
Yup. My desk is a corner desk, so already has some depth. But I would need to wall mount this on an articulating mount. And not sure how I would work my second monitor (don't want to give that up) - might do an over/under arrangement rather than side by side, or tilt the second monitor vertical.. I don't know.

MSRP pricing shown - doesn’t look like any large shakeups. I am seriously thinking about jumping on a 48” and figuring out a way to shoehorn it into my computer setup, since anything smaller (and affordable) doesn’t look to be on the horizon.
There are rumors of a 43" version as well as actual PC monitors (i.e., DisplayPort) on the horizon. GIven the complete lack of GPU availability, I'm in no hurry...

There are rumors of a 43" version as well as actual PC monitors (i.e., DisplayPort) on the horizon. GIven the complete lack of GPU availability, I'm in no hurry...
Yeah, I've heard LG has a 42 or 43" planned - but it won't be a 2021 model. LG did just announce some PC monitors, but it was all creative oriented, with a price to match. So I dunno... yeah I don't have a great GPU now, but that doesn't mean that I couldn't keep upgrading around it, and even without a shiny new GPU, OLED looks really really good on the PS4, and that's slower than my PC by a good bit.

For as long as I've been waiting on the perfect monitor.... and seeing a lot of releases for products that look good, but don't quite measure up after release - I'm just kinda tired of waiting for something that has just never come out and looking at what I'm willing to compromise on what I consider ideal.

This is a good move to offset the likely shuttering of their phone division.

Become a Patron!
Back