LG Is Developing UltraGear OLED Gaming Monitors with Glossy Rather Than Matte Panels

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
UltraGear OLED, LG's brand of OLED monitors for gamers that currently comprises nine models, including the 45GR95QE (45" UltraGear OLED Curved Gaming Monitor WQHD with 240Hz Refresh Rate 0.03ms Response Time) and 32GS95UE (32" UltraGear OLED Dual Mode 4K UHD 240Hz or FHD 480Hz 0.03ms G-Sync Compatible Gaming Monitor with Pixel Sound), will introduce new models in the future that feature glossy rather than matte panels for what many critics of the latter say are richer colors and deeper-looking blacks.

See full article...

I don't understand why people like glossy panels. They are annoying as ****, reflecting any and all light sources nearby.

I can't even use my backlit keyboard in the dark in front of a glossy monitor without seeing reflections in it. At least during dark scenes.

I guess that is what happens with the combination of the true black darks an OLED screen can offer, and a reflective screen. There is nothing to drown out the reflections.

I read something about glossy vs matte panels and there was some technical reason behind it, but I'll be damned if I can recall exactly what it is or where I read it. Something about the reflectiveness lead to better color accuracy or perceived brightness levels or some such, but I don't really recall.

I tend to agree with Zath though - glossy panels drive me batty

I'm pretty sure it's in the displays section of this forum. I recall that article as well @Brian_B

Found it:

Become a Patron!
Back