Locations for BioWare’s Dragon Age 4 Revealed

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
dragon-age-4-teaser-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: BioWare

The fourth installment of BioWare’s popular Dragon Age dark fantasy RPG series will take place in a completely new locale called Tevinter. That’s according to the studio’s own BioWare: Stories and Secrets from 25 Years of Game Development book, which Eurogamer’s Tom Phillips picked up over the weekend. Phillips noted that the setting shouldn’t be a complete surprise for those of you who played Dragon Age: Inquisition’s Trespasser expansion, as Tevinter is reportedly teased in its finale scenes.

“Artwork of a glittering city surrounded by water almost certainly shows Antiva City, the capital of Antiva, an area which borders Tevinter to the east,” Phillips added. “Concept art for an Antivan Crow is also shown; a theatrical assassin “celebrated for their mastery of stylish...

Continue reading...

I liked the first one, but the rest didn't get my interest.
May revisit with this round.

I liked the first one, but the rest didn't get my interest.
May revisit with this round.

Same with me. Really enjoyed the first game and setting. I liked its more 'mature' theme (at the time), and the combat (especially its difficulty) felt excellent. The cheesing with blood magic and the elemental warrior (or whatever it was called) was a bit OP, mind you.

Dragon Age 2 felt... limited in scope, I guess. I did enjoy the combat on this one (reminded me of an overhauled FF XII-style 'gambit' system), but the recycled maps made the game feel 'small'. I also found it jarring that they gave Sten's race big goat horns.

Dragon Age 3 was alright, story was much better than DA2, and the stakes felt higher. Combat and the games interface were a step back, though. Combat felt oversimplified and boring (especially in the later stages of the game) and the interface felt like it was primarily designed for a gamepad. I can't exactly remember why (I think it was the 'interact' or spotting mechanic), but I found it more comfortable to play the game with a gamepad versus the KB+M. Which shouldn't be the case.

Exploration in DA3 was a highlight, the maps were so huge (the starting map might've been *too* huge tbh) and the variety in them and between them were quite excellent.

Become a Patron!
Back