Mac Mini M1X Leaks with Much Thinner Design

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
mac-mini-m1x-render-ports-1024x576.jpg
Image: Front Page Tech

Apple launched its new Mac mini with M1 chip in November 2020. While that model looked a lot like its predecessors, new renders based on leaked schematics suggest that the next iteration of the Mac mini will look quite a bit sexier.

As suggested by images shared by Front Page Tech’s John Prosser, Apple’s next Mac mini will feature a much thinner design than any model before it, seemingly taking up less than half the height of the current model.

Prosser’s renders also clearly show the new Mac mini’s connectivity options, which include 4x Thunderbolt/USB 4 ports (four more than the current model), 2x USB-A ports, 1x HDMI port, and 1x Ethernet. Unfortunately, Apple has not brought back the SD card slot contrary to recent rumors.

Apple’s new Mac mini will be powered by an updated version of its in-house SoC called the M1X. The computer is expected...

Continue reading...

For a device to surf the web and such on it looks fine.

For a device to surf the web and such on it looks fine.

Agreed. And that's all most people ever do with their computers.

Heck, I'd even consider one as a Kodi box running OpenElec/CoreElec if it allows native installs of non apple operating systems...

...well, and if it didn't cost $700 which is a little much for what you get.

I've been testing out the Odroid N2+ as a Kodi frontend. I like it. It's a nice little box, but it could use just a little bit more "oomph". I bet an Apple M1 chip would provide that.

I love Mac Minis, they are great little computers. I use them in industrial remote server settings a lot, and once upon a time I had one for a HTPC.

IDK how they would work out as a transcoding server box - especially with M1 chip now.

I bet that little box would work just fine for Desktop Publishing and Image Editing.

I bet that little box would work just fine for Desktop Publishing and Image Editing.
The interesting part about the current Mac lineup - they all have the same performance, more or less. There is one box that has one less GPU core, and some have a cooling fan over others, but all are the basic M1 chip with same IGP.

So the Mac Mini is going to perform about the same as the highest end M1 Macbook pro, any iMac, or the lowest end Macbook Air.

Not sure how I feel about that, but I do have a MBP and it is a very nice laptop

The interesting part about the current Mac lineup - they all have the same performance, more or less. There is one box that has one less GPU core, and some have a cooling fan over others, but all are the basic M1 chip with same IGP.

So the Mac Mini is going to perform about the same as the highest end M1 Macbook pro, any iMac, or the lowest end Macbook Air.

Not sure how I feel about that, but I do have a MBP and it is a very nice laptop
Be cool to pair the Mini with the $6k Pro Display XDR if the IGP can run 6k rez haha

IDK how they would work out as a transcoding server box - especially with M1 chip now.
Software support is the big question (it ain't there). But the hardware is plenty capable from what I've seen.
That's what every review I've seen or read so far indicates!
Should be specific to the 'M1' lineup. Apple is likely going to push out upsized versions for the larger 'Pro' Macbooks and M1-based iMacs (and eventually Mac Pro).

They still have some 'old iron' in their larger computers :)
Be cool to pair the Mini with the $6k Pro Display XDR if the IGP can run 6k rez haha
I believe it's an interface issue - with the M1 flexing from tablet to iMac, it seems that they made some compromises, the biggest being display support.

Last edited:
Its pretty tempting actually.

I might have to get one and set it up as a single purpose image editing box.

Become a Patron!
Back