Man AMD is in some trouble.

Grimlakin

Forum Posting Supreme
AMD year over year net profit down 94%. For the second quarter and rumor is they are shutting down the video card research lab in China. (Why would you do development there... cheap but everything gets stolen. I don't get it. ). Some 3000 people...

This is going to be interesting. Maybe AMD moves dev back to the US where it's more expensive? Time will tell.

Ouch.

I guess the COVID everyone-needs-a-new-computer-to-work-from-home boom is done, and it's not like AMD really was able to branch out into anything new. They stole some business from Intel but that was way before the pandemic, they treaded water against nVidia - if anything they have ceded ground there, and logistics jammed up what would have otherwise been a record-setting console sales cycle and turned it into just "great but not record setting". All of that is winding down.

nVidia was able to jump over into AI with both feet. Intel - well, it's likely going down with AMD to be honest, I don't really see them doing much better and they have been trimming for the past couple of years. Samsung took a huge hit on their NAND production this year. Looks like the only real winners here are TSMC, nVidia, and Apple (and the easy money over at Apple may be about done as well).

Honestly, post-COVID this was a given. .

That's not a blip... but at least it's still profitable! :)

Become a Patron!
Back