Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster Releasing in October?

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
mass-effect-banner-1024x576.jpg
Image: BioWare

In a recent podcast (via Video Games Chronicle), GamesBeat journalist Jeff Grubb confirmed that the Mass Effect Trilogy remaster is definitely real and coming soon. That’s great news, since we haven’t heard a thing from EA or BioWare about the long-rumored title. The game was also removed from VentureBeat’s list of upcoming EA remasters, which got people skeptical as to whether it existed at all.

“I know it’s real,” Grubb said. “I’ve seen more than enough evidence to know it’s real, but it’s still 2020 and...

Continue reading...

Who the heck is Jeff Grubb? A random journo. Announcing a game even a remaster the same month you release it still doesn't make a lot of sense. Looks like someone scrambling for limelight instead of a convincing story.

EA could get away with announcing and releasing the remasters in the same month. Primarily because it's already got a built in audience and its existence has already been known for some time.

I was really excited for this when the rumors came out a while back but after seeing the kinda lame Crysis "remaster" I'm kinda worried that these might be the same thing.

I was really excited for this when the rumors came out a while back but after seeing the kinda lame Crysis "remaster" I'm kinda worried that these might be the same thing.

I'm thinking it will be nothing more than the original games ported to Frostbite, with reuses of Andromeda's assets, as well as new assets to recreate the basic look of the earlier games, albeit updated. That's what I expect. These will be remasters, not remakes.

I'm thinking it will be nothing more than the original games ported to Frostbite, with reuses of Andromeda's assets, as well as new assets to recreate the basic look of the earlier games, albeit updated. That's what I expect. These will be remasters, not remakes.

Yeah I know they're not remakes but I was hoping for a little more than just a texture refresh like we got with Crysis. Using the Frostbite engine is intriguing. I thought it looked really good on Andromeda. The voices, sound effects and especially music was already perfect so no need to change any of that.

I'll still probably end up buying it regardless. I'm a sucker for anything Mass Effect .

Yeah I know they're not remakes but I was hoping for a little more than just a texture refresh like we got with Crysis. Using the Frostbite engine is intriguing. I thought it looked really good on Andromeda. The voices, sound effects and especially music was already perfect so no need to change any of that.

I'll still probably end up buying it regardless. I'm a sucker for anything Mass Effect .

I will too. I have 7 play throughs of ME1, 27 play throughs of ME2, and 17 play throughs of ME3. I also released a **** ton of texture mods for ME3 that I made over the course of quite some time. So, there was testing etc. on that. Any of the texture in texture packs by Dead_Meat357 are mine. That's the name I used for games way back in the day.

Of course, some of the game may need to be reworked to make it work on Frostbite. I'm expecting a bit more than direct clones with nicer graphics, but not too much. Also, restoring cut content from ME3 may very well be in the cards. Unfortunately, I doubt that they'll rework the ending of ME3, although, additional endings achieved through organic means could work if handled right.

Porting games to a completely different engine is a huge amount of work. It basically means rewriting the entire thing. All the game mechanics, balancing, features redone from scratch almost.
I don't think that's going to happen. At best a newer version of the Unreal engine is what I'd expect. With the amount of customization each ME game had in it even that is likely to be a bit involved. But a lot more straightforward than an entirely different engine.

Porting games to a completely different engine is a huge amount of work. It basically means rewriting the entire thing. All the game mechanics, balancing, features redone from scratch almost.
I don't think that's going to happen. At best a newer version of the Unreal engine is what I'd expect. With the amount of customization each ME game had in it even that is likely to be a bit involved. But a lot more straightforward than an entirely different engine.

I understand that and normally I'd agree. But, rumors are that BioWare is indeed using Frostbite for it. They already have some assets developed for Andromeda. Not only that, but EA has a history of using Frostbite where it doesn't make sense. I don't know for sure. We'll have to wait and see.

I understand that and normally I'd agree. But, rumors are that BioWare is indeed using Frostbite for it. They already have some assets developed for Andromeda. Not only that, but EA has a history of using Frostbite where it doesn't make sense. I don't know for sure. We'll have to wait and see.
Yeah, but EA forces frostbite to keep profits in-house. I think in this case they lose more on development costs than what they stand to gain by cutting out licensing fees. But of course it depends on their sales projections.

Not only that, but EA has a history of using Frostbite where it doesn't make sense.

This is the truth.

I totally expect EA to use Frostbite in the remake, precisely because it makes zero sense to do so.

For me, $25 tops and it better include ALL the DLC. I owned all these on 360 and recently played ME2 again on PC (recent... hmmm.... 4 years ago?) and still had a blast.

Yea if they redo the tech to make it PC friendly and leverage the PC performance that would be great.

Become a Patron!
Back