Microsoft’s Big Windows Announcement Is Rumored to Be Windows 11

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
windows-10-sun-valley-glass-ui-collection-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella once claimed that Windows 10 would be the last version of Windows. The executive may not have been entirely honest, as Microsoft published a new animated clip today for its upcoming Windows event that seems to imply its new operating system will be called Windows 11. (Despite the Windows logo comprising four separate panes, two bars of light of created, which allude to the number 11.) Popular leaker Evan Blass also seems convinced that Microsoft is developing a completely new version of Windows that will boast a new and higher number.

Join us June 24th at 11 am ET for the #MicrosoftEvent to see what’s next. https://t.co/kSQYIDZSyi...

Continue reading...

I thought it was going to be Windows 10 forever and ever, and they were just going to do continual update cycles?

Reserving judgement on if it's a good idea - really depends on what they do and how they do it - it could be great, but knowing MS, it probably won't be and they will figure out a way to step in it. But I can certainly go ahead and criticize their lack of consistency.

I dunno; Feels like every other Windows release is a bust. IE: Windows XP, good; Windows Vista, blergh; Windows 7, good; Windows 8, blergh; Windows 10, good...

Ugh...... Petey you is my friend,,,,, Tell the bad man to go away

I'm sure it'll be fine

I dunno; Feels like every other Windows release is a bust. IE: Windows XP, good; Windows Vista, blergh; Windows 7, good; Windows 8, blergh; Windows 10, good...
Vista was not as bad as it is made out to be, the real issue with it is that oems kept putting it on computers that were really ill equipped to run it.
And windows 10 good? LOL, how can you call an OS that you have no control over good? It's like its in constant flux and what you knew yesterday might not work tomorrow after a "feature" update that you can't even opt out of.

Vista was not as bad as it is made out to be, the real issue with it is that oems kept putting it on computers that were really ill equipped to run it.
And windows 10 good? LOL, how can you call an OS that you have no control over good? It's like its in constant flux and what you knew yesterday might not work tomorrow after a "feature" update that you can't even opt out of.

I didn't mind Vista either - 7 wasn't that different from Vista honestly, and most people loved 7. 8 and 10 are almost identical to me, I have to look really closely to see a lot of the difference. I suffer through them because.. it's Windows. But I never fell in love with either of them, and the fact that every time I get used something on Win10, it gets updated and changed and I have to relearn it all over agian.

Probably be subscription based now...
I wouldn't be surprised if they give Home away, provided that you link it to your MS account - they all but do that now with 10, and they already ad-support on 10 (*grumble*). But Pro/up will probably move to a subscription -- probably rolled into 365.

I didn't mind Vista either - 7 wasn't that different from Vista honestly, and most people loved 7. 8 and 10 are almost identical to me, I have to look really closely to see a lot of the difference. I suffer through them because.. it's Windows. But I never fell in love with either of them, and the fact that every time I get used something on Win10, it gets updated and changed and I have to relearn it all over agian.
8.1 vs 10 is close, 8 and 10 might be from different planets.
When I first tried to use vanilla 8 it was like 1992 me sitting in front of a PC for the first time, I felt completely dumbfounded couldn't even find the most basic functions in it.

8.1 vs 10 is close, 8 and 10 might be from different planets.
When I first tried to use vanilla 8 it was like 1992 me sitting in front of a PC for the first time, I felt completely dumbfounded couldn't even find the most basic functions in it.

Yup I recently was working on a relatives laptop with win 8 on it and I had forgotten how much I hated it. As much as the core code is likely the same, the OS with all the charms and gestures etc makes me crazy. When I did have a Win 8 laptop back in the day, pretty sure I used start8 on it.

Who wants to place bets that they go back to charging / selling Windows with this one? MS basically gave away 10 for free*. I do know they sell retail copies of it, but basically anyone with a win 7 key or newer gets off free.

* = yeah I know they collect data, etc. But some of us know how to turn those off, or even install without them :)

Who wants to place bets that they go back to charging / selling Windows with this one? MS basically gave away 10 for free*. I do know they sell retail copies of it, but basically anyone with a win 7 key or newer gets off free.

* = yeah I know they collect data, etc. But some of us know how to turn those off, or even install without them :)
They did basically give it away for free, and I am ok with that. It is the one OS that I never paid full price for.
I'd be hard pressed to continue paying more than $50 for future installments either, and most certainly will not go the subscription route.
Win 10 may become the next Win 7 in longevity.

If they bundle the license into office 365 subs I'm in. Otherwise not really interested.

If they bundle the license into office 365 subs I'm in. Otherwise not really interested.
Office 365 is malware adware and bloatware all in one. I have office 365 enterprise through work, but I uninstalled it in favor of libreoffice.

They are pushing onedrive in office 365 so hard now that it takes three clicks to get to an actual browse dialog to save files on the local computer in all office apps. Instead of immediately taking you to the browse dialog which office used to be like when I actually used it for productivity.

Office 365 is malware adware and bloatware all in one. I have office 365 enterprise through work, but I uninstalled it in favor of libreoffice.

They are pushing onedrive in office 365 so hard now that it takes three clicks to get to an actual browse dialog to save files on the local computer in all office apps. Instead of immediately taking you to the browse dialog which office used to be like when I actually used it for productivity.
To be fair, OneDrive for business is a godsend. I don't use it at home really at all, but it's all I use at work.

Future is ' as a service' and that's that. Not saying i like it.

Future is ' as a service' and that's that. Not saying i like it.
I don't like the idea of it. But let's be honest: should we expect security updates forever, for free?

That's what this boils down to, really. Security updates, feature updates, and so on to keep up with threats and evolving technology aren't cheap. And if you can get Windows and basic productivity applications along with reasonable cloud storage for a small monthly fee? Especially when all of that goes wherever you go, including other types of computing devices like tablets and phones?

I don't really want to admit that I'm considering the thought, but I have to. You get what you pay for and Microsoft having desktop / consumer subscribers hitching into their services does make quite a bit of sense.

I'm ok with a subscription honestly. If i think about it realistically - I've been doing that anyway buying the major releases. Sure, that way I have the option of not buying the next release and sitting... but honestly, do I? Once security updates and such stop, you either pay up and move on, or get obliterated in malware and left behind on driver and software support. So you only have the illusion of delaying that payment, not eliminating it.

There are three other options, I suppose, that we aren't really discussing.

Most people get their OS by having it subsidized in the hardware. Windows OEM licenses, OS X, and virtually every mobile OS are funded this way. The rub there is this forum is largely made up of folks who DIY their builds, and MS no longer sells the System Builder / OEM licenses like they once did. There's also the side issue that hardware-tied licenses don't always get upgrades - Andriod is pretty notorious about it, and so is Microsoft with Windows - Apple is the only one I would call generous with that aspect.

There's Free / Open Source. That is a viable option, provided you have support for the stuff you need. Just be prepared to do a lot of your own support and for updates to happen whenever they **** well please.

And you could do ad/data-supported, like ChromeOS. I fear a "free" version of Windows would turn into this - which would be a privacy nightmare and as annoying as all get out to use, but a lot of people don't seem to mind at all so long as they don't need to shell out any money.

Given all 5 of those options, I love Apple OS longevity, but you are definitely paying for it with the Apple Tax. Yeah, when I roll my own hardware I'd prefer to buy it once and be done with it, but I'm not vehemently opposed to a subscription either. So long as it comes with the understanding that I'm already paying cash, I'm not paying with my data and/or privacy as well.

Last edited:
Most people get their OS by having it subsidized in the hardware. Windows OEM licenses, OS X, and virtually every mobile OS are funded this way. The rub there is this forum is largely made up of folks who DIY their builds, and MS no longer sells the System Builder / OEM licenses like they once did. There's also the side issue that hardware-tied licenses don't always get upgrades - Andriod is pretty notorious about it, and so is Microsoft with Windows - Apple is the only one I would call generous with that aspect.
To be fair to Microsoft here, if you'd bought Windows 7 / it came with a system, you could have a fully-activated Windows 10 install for that system today. I have more than a few systems running that first came with 7 myself, and I think I paid for one of the upgrades along the way. I also ran Start...whatever to replace the 8/8.1 start 'screen' and anemic menus and have only really dealt with those on old Server systems.

There's Free / Open Source. That is a viable option, provided you have support for the stuff you need. Just be prepared to do a lot of your own support and for updates to happen whenever they **** well please.
As much as I'd like this one, we find real quick that open-source when it comes to UIs is a cluster. Give Microsoft all the flack you want for their incremental Windows 10 UI upgrades, at least they work!

Apple much the same here, with even less flexibility.

I will say that there are FOSS options that work pretty well and I've been quite happy with the Cinnamon desktop across various base distros, including Mint. I also just tossed the latest Solus Budgie into Virtualbox and I think it's time to give that one a serious run too, on a dedicated machine of course.

And you could do ad/data-supported, like ChromeOS. I fear a "free" version of Windows would turn into this - which would be a privacy nightmare and as annoying as all get out to use, but a lot of people don't seem to mind at all so long as they don't need to shell out any money.
As far as privacy goes, if you use any modern computing device with a vendor-supported OS and say use any cloud-based services or any social media, you're already profiled and cataloged. You'd have to have gone to Sarah Conner grade lengths to prevent that.

Given all 5 of those options, I love Apple OS longevity, but you are definitely paying for it with the Apple Tax. Yeah, when I roll my own hardware I'd prefer to buy it once and be done with it, but I'm not vehemently opposed to a subscription either. So long as it comes with the understanding that I'm already paying cash, I'm not paying with my data and/or privacy as well.
As with the above, privacy in a basic sense is more of a thing of the past. I don't really know the 'way forward' here, as there never really was real privacy even before the information age; it's just easier to get that information today, like any information, and it's only going to get easier.

I don't like the idea of it. But let's be honest: should we expect security updates forever, for free?
When people start a sentence with " to be fair" or "let's be honest" it usually means they don't really believe what they are going to say either.
What was wrong with the system that you bought an OS for $80-100 used it for 3-4 years then bought the next version. Nobody asked ms to give away windows 10 for free, or to make it the "last" windows. This is a problem entirely of their own making. MS is making your computer theirs, and a subscription based OS further advances that agenda, as you will no longer be able to use your computer without constantly paying MS.

I know it is cliché by now, but if MS really goes the subscribe or die route with consumer windows, I really expect an uptick in linux installations. And piracy.

That's what this boils down to, really. Security updates, feature updates, and so on to keep up with threats and evolving technology aren't cheap. And if you can get Windows and basic productivity applications along with reasonable cloud storage for a small monthly fee? Especially when all of that goes wherever you go, including other types of computing devices like tablets and phones?
I don't want my desktop to go anywhere especially not on my mobile devices. And I never asked for cloud storage, that I especially don't trust, or find useful, since my upload speed is 20mbit on a good day.

Become a Patron!
Back