Microsoft’s New, Chromium-Based Edge Browser Now Rolling Out via Windows Update

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft-Edge--1024x576.png
Image: Microsoft

If you’re a Windows 10 user who hasn’t tried out Microsoft’s latest browser yet, you’ll no longer have to download it manually, as the company is bringing it right to you. According to a new support document, the Chromium-based version of Edge is rolling out to version 1803 and higher, where it’ll be installed automatically.

“Microsoft has released a new Chromium-based version of Microsoft Edge,” the document indicates. “This new version provides best in class compatibility with extensions and websites. Additionally, this new version provides great support for the latest rendering capabilities, modern web applications, and powerful developer tools across all supported OS platforms.”

Nobody likes a “forced” install, but everyone seems to be loving the Chromium variant...

Continue reading...

Isn't it great when you own the platform, and you can just force your other junk on people too?

I long for a time when an operating system was just an operating system and absolutely no programs were included, and nothigh except security patches or core OS updates would come via OS updates.

If I wanted to use Chromium, I'd download and install Chromium.

Ok,
So Edge downloaded itself onto one of my work computers last night.

it automatically put links for itself on the Desktop and pinned to the Task bar

it launched Edge with a “Get started” popup

I could not dismiss the popup without hitting “Get Started”

I could not close Edge with Close Application or Alt-F4.

The only way to quite Edge without “Getting Started” was to kill it from the Task Manager.

Promptly went through and deleted all the shortcuts after that.

Ok,
So Edge downloaded itself onto one of my work computers last night.

it automatically put links for itself on the Desktop and pinned to the Task bar

it launched Edge with a “Get started” popup

I could not dismiss the popup without hitting “Get Started”

I could not close Edge with Close Application or Alt-F4.

The only way to quite Edge without “Getting Started” was to kill it from the Task Manager.

Promptly went through and deleted all the shortcuts after that.

That is absolutely obnoxious.

Reminds me of Windows 10 upgrades.

Microsoft should be ashamed. As the Operating System developer they have a responsibility to be software agnostic, and not push favorites, even if it is their own. They should never use the fact that they control OS updates to push their own software. That's what got them sued in the 90's.

I havent seen this yet, but I don't boot into Windows all that often on my own machines, and I don't know what my IT department at work is doing behind the scenes to control patches on my work machine.

Become a Patron!
Back