Microsoft Acquires Bethesda Game Studios, id Software, MachineGames, and More for $7.5 Billion

Sony has been really good at snagging console exclusives. Maybe not always entire games, but platform locked DLC and timed exclusivity for some pretty big AAAs

Clearly like the recent MS Flight Simulator. Total garbage am I right?
Actually, it's nothing special. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a direct fork of the last flight simulator they put out.
The so called world scenery is a farce, they outsourced it to a company to do the terrain and every city that is not hand crafted looks absolutely awful.
I've tried it, and felt like I was in a game from the early 2000s when flying low.

I just had an insane thought after reading the Verge's article about all this... that MS doesn't care about exclusives but just wants to stuff Game Pass full of games. Sony... DOES care about exclusives, it has served them well. Sony doesn't have the infinity gauntlet sized wallet that MS does, but they could still try to buy another game company or work some crazy exclusive deal with them. Keep an eye on the internet, and don't be shocked if Sony buys Warner or Take 2 or ... I don't think they have the money to buy Activision but they could work some kind of deal with them. Activision is probably too big of a fish to catch, but I can see Sony picking up somebody.

Actually having typed that... I hope they don't go for Activision. They are bloated, overvalued, and lazy (ie - every COD game)... and Blizzard has plenty of problems on it's own too. But I think Warner could be ripe for takeover.

edit - reading about Warner they want too much. Smarter for Sony to pick up cheaper studios like Remedy (Control, Max Payne) or Supermassive (Until Dawn). Sony cannot win by outspending MS (not possible) so they should pick smart choices.

Ehhhh what do I know
Remedy might be a good one. I feel that under Sony they could achieve that extra level of polish that their games are missing and would take them to the next level as a developer
Sony has a plentiful number of revenue streams. TV's, Consoles, monitors... home... entertainment..... wow they've really shrunk a lot haven't they.

Ok but Sony still has the backing of Japan. And Japan is on a movement to keep companies and extract companies out of China. So that could be good news for Sony. (Not to the tune of MS money but still a hefty sum.)

Can Sony afford to buy some gaming studios. Sure. And don't forget Tencent has a heavy investment into Activision/Blizzard and having someone like Sony buy out their interest in Activision/Blizzard could be a boon.
Mentioned in another thread that Sony Interactive Entertainment make twice the money as Microsoft's Xbox division and is Sony's biggest revenue stream by a mile, dwarfing their movie division. However, Sony as a corporation is valued at around one-tenth that of Microsoft and runs with barely any cash on hand. Sony is smart with their investments, though, nurturing talent internally. Remember that until a year or two ago that Insomniac was an independent company despite having developed almost nothing that wasn't an exclusive to a Sony console. That deal took forever to work up to.

Remember that until a year or two ago that Insomniac was an independent company despite having developed almost nothing that wasn't an exclusive to a Sony console. That deal took forever to work up to.
Didn't Sony own Insomniac during the PS2 and most of the PS3 days? Back when they were sister studios with Naughty Dog, and they even used to reside next door to Naughty Dog. The two used to trade tech (well more like Insomniac borrowed from ND) and put each other's characters as cameos/easter eggs in their games (at least during the PS2 era).

Seems anything is a billion btw.
These valuations of anything tech related are out of control.

Yes I know IP and successful franchises, but actually is not impossible to start a game studio, and even have a successful franchise.... Just if you have a cult hit, be patient, invest in it let the creative minds grow it properly.
At 7,500,000,000 you could open 10 studios funded at 750,000,000 (for as long as the projects uses the money) or 10 studios at 75,000,000 for 10 years. If neither of those is enough to make games, just what is it? I mean 75million is closing in at aaa game territory isn't it? So its enough funds for at least 50 (100 if you take the 75, but let's double it) aaa games in 10 years, could be 100 aaa games if you respect money.

Didn't Sony own Insomniac during the PS2 and most of the PS3 days? Back when they were sister studios with Naughty Dog, and they even used to reside next door to Naughty Dog. The two used to trade tech (well more like Insomniac borrowed from ND) and put each other's characters as cameos/easter eggs in their games (at least during the PS2 era).
That may have been so, but they were still independent even though they were developing games exclusively for Sony during that time. Insomniac was not acquired by Sony until last year.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/19/sony-acquires-spider-man-ps4-developer-insomniac-games

Become a Patron!
Back