Microsoft Becomes the World’s Most Valuable Company, Overtaking Apple

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
microsoft-logo-gray-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Apple is no longer the world’s most valuable company. That title now belongs to Microsoft, whose market cap rose to nearly $2.47 trillion today. Apple’s market cap stood at a smaller (but equally eye watering) $2.44 trillion this afternoon.

From CNBC’s coverage:

Apple reported revenue that fell short of Wall Street expectations during the company’s fiscal fourth-quarter on Thursday, a result of supply chain constraints. CEO Tim Cook told CNBC’s Josh Lipton the revenue shortfall is estimated at $6 billion, but he expects worse supply chain issues in the December quarter.IPhone sales at the company were up 47% year-over-year but also fell short of analyst expectations. The company’s fourth quarter only included a few days of iPhone 13 sales.

Apple remains notable for being the first company to reach not only a $1 trillion, but $2 trillion, market cap, the...

Continue reading...

Holy crap... Apple was worth or is worth over 2 trillion dollars and SOMEHOW Microsoft has eclipsed that?!

I don't even know any more. Literally dumbfounded by the amount of wealth in these companies. I didn't even think MS was over 1 trillion in value let alone 500 billion.

Wow, I didn't see that coming

AFAIK Azure is skyrocketing so that may have something to do with it.

Wow, really?

I really haven't been keeping up.

Last I checked Microsoft was in trouble due to having missed the mobile bandwagon, and everyone was betting against them.

What the hell changed? Was it their heavy handed tactics around Win10 and trying to sell us on the freemium model around the Windows ecosystem?

AFAIK Azure is skyrocketing so that may have something to do with it.

Interesting.

Last I checked there too, Azure was a distant also-ran when compared to AWS.

Amazing how things can change in a hurry.

Maybe a few companies stood up a high core count sql enterprise cluster by accident? That would do it. (Only a little sarcasm there.)

“cloud” is almost half their revenue. Would things like O365 subscriptions count as cloud revenue, or office revenue?

Wow... We gonna unravel so fast, it will be truly unprecedented. Yes yes not many see the problem... That's okay, as always everyone will after.

Become a Patron!
Back